• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Magnum III Auger - problems running

sparetime

Question

I have a Magnum III auger with a Tecumsh 49cc motor. On a trip last weekend the auger ran fine on Saturday, but on Sunday it wouldn't run off choke. As soon as I went from choke to off choke, it died. Tried switching it with and without throttle. Any ideas what might be wrong? The gas vent was open, although I should have tried it with the gas cap off, in case the vent was clogged with snow (unlikely).

I thought about changing the spark plug, but don't see how that would make much difference. Any thougts will be appreciated.

7 answers to this question

it may need a new carb kit put in it. I have this same auger and last season I had strike master do a tune up on it(first one since new). as part of the tune up they put in a new carb kit. after this it runs like brand new and mine is 20+ years old.

Thanks for the heads up on having Strikemaster do a tune up. Any idea what that might cost. New auger is $319 at Fleet Farm right now, so I don't want to spend a bunch of money to have an old auger. Although this one has served me well for 16 years, and I bought it used.

sparetime,

the tune up costs $69.95 plus tax if you have it done anytime between july 5th and march 31 and if you have it done between april 1st and july 4th they charge only $49.95 (off season deal). they do the following during the tune up.

new spark plug

new fuel inlet screen

new intake needle

new metering diaphragm

check the idle adjustment

new carb kit

new metering lever

new fuel pump diaphragm

new gasket set

check throttle adjustment

if there is anything else they find they will contact you and get your okay before they do any additonal work on it.

Hope this helps

also would recommend you spend the extra twenty dollars and send the blade in and get it replaced with a new sharp blade(this is their blade exchange program)

one thing to consider thou is that this one has the metal handle and will not possibly break like the new ones can and also there is no recoil issue with this like the new ones. yes the new solo powered one are nice but you have to do the extra work on the recoil right after you get them. if you haven't heard there was a issue with to thick of grease in those recoils and they were breaking. sparetime if you do decide to part with it I may be interested if the price is right. I would then have the tune up done on it and set it up with either my 8.25 or 10.25 drill unit depends on what you have on it.

Put new gas in, and a little seafoam. Ran great. I had emptied the gas and put in new gas in December, what I added must have been a few months old. Guess this auger wants only the freshest stuff.

Thanks for the input.