• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what depth finder????

WARRIOR 2090

Hi guys I have a FL-18 one of the very first ones it had to go back to vexlar right away to be rechipped but it has never worked the way I wanted my problem is that it never shows my jig close to the bottom you have to lift the jig up anywhere from a foot to eighteen inchs off the bottom to see it on the flasher I called vexlar and they told me that all depth finders are that way and that I can cheat the unit by turning it on with the transducer down the hole that foot or so and then slide it up to get the jig to disapear as it hits the bottom so what are you guys using for a flasher and does it have a good bottom seperation from your jig mine works great for suspened fish but not good for bottom huggers thanks and sorry for the long post

Yeah i heard the first 18s had issues with the bottom reading. Something bout it not reseting ond bottom bouncing up and down... never heard of your issue. I use a fl-8se and i dont need to raise it up 12 or 18 inches to see my jig. And i dont even have zoom that is poor if you cant see with the zoom.

So far in my research of flashers with zoom the marcum is the only one i have heard that is super crisp fine line detail. the 18 has to big of lines and i heard the humminbird does as well. Just magnifying what you see without making the lines smaller.Putting lines over your bait when there not that close.Might as well use the 8 then.

I have the FL-20 and am very happy with it's performance. I am usually fishing in a wheeled house and I love the screen more than any of the other flashers on the market. I am sure the Marcums work great but I wouldn't trade.

Also when using a Vexilar FL-18 be sure to not use it in the BL (Bottom Lock Mode) on the ice, this may average the bottom depth out and may produce the "Dead Zone" effect that your likely experiencing. The BL Mode is only truly useful on open water fishing situations, to eliminate bottom bounce from wave action, and can be detrimental on the ice, so don't use it.

If you are not using the BL Mode than I suspect it is a "Dead Zone Effect" produced by a peripheral sonar contact that may lead any flasher, or any graph, to believe that is indeed the True Bottom reading.

As was already mentioned a narrow beam ducer may solve this, or a Duel Beam ducer, as you can switch from 9 deg to 20 deg with a flick of the switch at will.

hearing all these positive comments about the LX-5 is getting me even more pumped to take mine for her maiden voyage this weekend! Just purchased one Monday...heck of a deal too at Scheels in Fargo, after tax it was under 4 hundo.