• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BTU's needed for a 4x8?

rodbuilder

Question

Hey all. I am in the process of constructing a 4x8 fish house. It'll have 2" walls with 1-1.5 inches of foam board for insulation. My question is...What size propane heater should I buy? The ideal set up would keep me warm on the really cold days but would also adjust down enough to leave it on while I am gone so the holes stay open. Any/all ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

13 answers to this question

Rodbuilder

I have to agree w/ PCG - you will roast in there.

I have a 4x8 luggable - that is - the sides are plastic tarp (home built). I tryed a Mr.Heater/Cooker in it Sunday morning - about 15F & some wind - and we had to shut it off - even running on low - it got too warm in there.

Previously, I had used a Colemen (Focus or Force I think is the name) htr, and it to kept the shelter warm. I got the Mr H/C this year caused I wanted something I could cook on - heat some soup, brats, etc.

I had run the Coleman htr off the disposable cylinders and a 20# cylinder w/ a remote hose. Either way works w/ it, I expect the Mr H/C to be the same way.

As far as using a lantern for heat - I can't say - I have propane lanterns, and I found them to not put out enough - maybe the liquid fuel Colemans do a better job putting out heat as well as light.

UG

My Mr. Heater cooks me out of my 4x8. My Mr. Heater Jr. is ok on days that it's 30+ outside. Now, I have the Buddy Heater and that is just right. No fumes either wink.gif

I save the Mr. Heater "cooker" for the portable now.

Thanks for the replies all! The problem is, I need a vented heater. I have a Mr.heater in my portable and i have gotten sick from it. I agree, the heat they put out is top notch but my health is more important to me than the cost of the heater. Also, I don't think I would dare leave a mr. heater running all night when I wasn't there to watch it. Is there anything out there that is thermostat controlled? It would be very nice to turn it down to 40 degrees or so when I am not there so the holes stay open.

Thanks!

I too have a plywood canvas collapsable, and the mr heater on low will roast your rump outta there. I got the door hanging wide open on mille lacs in 30 Mph wind! wink.gif Sounds like the buddy heater was made for your shack

just a heads up, I have a bud that keeps heat in his house all winter and last winter he went threw 650 lbs., at 50$/100 that gets spendy. house is much bigger 10x14 but very well insulated even the floor.
and.... the ice under the house was considerably thinner so be cautious with warmer temps outside

rodbuilder,
I seen an ad from fleetfarm about a month ago that had vented heaters. The smallest heater was around 11000 btu. If I recall, the brand name was orvis. I went to look at the heater and they were sold out at the time.
I also built a 4x8 last year and used 3/4"
pink foam. I used 1/4" Luan(sp)plywood for the exterior walls. I used a Mister heater buddy to heat it. More than enough heat.
If I get back to fleetfarm I'll enquire a little more...
Good Luck...

Rod,
10K BTU's will be more than enough to keep your shack toasty. Make sure you can dial down enough for comfort. Buy a vented one if you plan on snoozing in it. A little overkill is nice when you want to dry the house out. Good luck

4x8....full size Coleman Lantern keeps them suckers warm...unless it's really windy.

A Mr Heater on low will cook your butt right out of there. The little screw on heater for propane bottles does the trick plenty good as well.

PCG

rodbuilder,
I checked out the (ORBIS) heaters at fleetfarm. The small vented one was sold out at the store here in the metro. It was a 8000 btu. The sales person wasn't sure on the price, Said some where from $120.-$150.
Orbis does have a web site.
Hope this helps out...
Good Luck...