• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy Mille Lacs Ice Spud?

Question

4 answers to this question

MnDog, welcome home to the best forum around.

As for the spud bar, a spud's a spud, dog, as long as it's heavy enough to make a clunk and sharp enough to punch through.

Got mine for $1 at a garage sale, and it's as fine as any fancy higher-priced unit.

Not everybody's as grouchy as me. grin.gif Likely you'll get more helpful responses on your spud question.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-11-2002).]

If you've got a welder and a grinder, make your own, use a hunk of 1/2" thick cold rolled steel 2 1/2" or 3" wide and weld it to a piece of pipe or cold rolled shaft for a handle. I like to Flatten out the top handle end and weld on a big washer for a rope.

If you want to get fancy, cut and sharpen a v recess into the central portion. This really makes the spud grab the ice, and makes it work really well for enlarging a spearing hole by chunking ice off the vertical hole sides. (a straight edge spud will bounce off a little more.)

Either way, or if you buy a spud keep it sharp with a good file.

Have Fun!!! Mark E.