• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Comfortable heat in a sleeper house

Marmot

Question

I am sure others on this board have encountered this situation…The air in my sleeper fish house is way too hot when retiring to the top bunks while the air on the lower bunks is a little on the cool side. I usually end up turning the furnace off at night so whoever is in the top bunks can breathe and get some sleep.

Any solutions to achieve a uniform air temperature in the fish house? I know a ceiling fan would help, but we are sans electricity while on ice.

------------------
Marmot

2 answers to this question

I went and picked up what look like fans from computer servers at an unclaimed freight for five bucks apiece. They draw a very low amp rate and I was able to run three fans for over 9 hours on a 3/4 full vex battery. I have one pushing heat off of the heater and the other two pushing cold air off the floor toward the ceiling, do not reverse it, I know it doesn't make sense but it works and my shack is nice and evenly heated now!

A good way to circulate the air is to mount a fan in the bottom of a peice of tubing. Tubing size tbd by the size of the fan. Mount the tubing vertically on the wall and have the top about a foot or so below the ceiling. Have the fan mounted so it will blow the coldest air off the floor and up into the hot air at the ceiling. This will create circulation in the house, and can raise and lower the floor-ceiling temps 20 or 30 degs. or more. The more air you move the more even the temps will become. This will also work much better than just a fan blowing without directing the air. In this way you can get just 1 fan to do the work of 2 or 3. Just remember that a fan pushing cold air 6 ft vertically will not move as much as its rating says, and you should probably cut its rating in half or so. An 8x10 with 8 ft ceiling is 640 cu ft. If you have a 100 cfm fan that moves 50 cfm you should get a full exchange in about 13 min. This will also work better at setting up a circulation if it is mounted opposite the heater. grin.gif