• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pipestone Lake Fishing Reports by Gateway North Outfitters

Fished this afternoon with a group of fisherman, around a dozen lake trout landed in 3-4 hours of fishing. Most fish today were in the 4-8# range today. Glow tubes were the bait of choice. Several other strike were missed and one break off. Only seen 1 other group fishing about 10 miles down the lake, a great day.

I suppose it could be done, but never seen or heard of a trail to Crow. It would make more sense to stay on Pipestone or make the run from Clearwater vs wasting most of the day travelling to try and get to Pipestone. I suppose it would be an adventure.

supposedly there is a trappers trail connecting the two...with that canada topo software in the gps it shouldn't be too tough to figure out a way...adventure being the key word...looks like that logging road cuts fairly close to both as well...

What Canadian Topo software do you use? I will be up to Clearwater Pipestone this summer and I know there is no lake map gps for the lakes but if there is topo that shows the area it will have the outline of the lakes that would still be usefull when navigating and marking spots.

Phantom18 - They did very well. They fished on Pipestone 1 day and some of the adjoining lakes further up from Pipestone the other days. They landed 74 lakers during their stay with 9# being the largest. Do you know the New Prague crew?

Once again we had a great trip up to Pipestone! Everything was great, including the fishing.

Day 1 - Had a snowmobile blow up on the way up Clearwater. Towed it back and still made it up the lake to be fishing by about 1:30. Fished a lake just off of Pipestone and did well. We got 14 trout with a nice average size. Had fresh boiled trout for supper, which was delicious.

Day 2 - Decided to fish a few of the portage lakes to the north and east of Pipestone that we have had good luck on in the past. We were the first people on these lakes this year, probably because they are a long sled ride unless you are staying right on Pipestone. We had awesome fishing and the trout were big and FAT! They were really aggressive and hammered anything they saw.

Day 3 - Everyone kind of split up and headed their own way. Only a couple of us stayed on Pipestone while the rest fished some nearby lakes. Caught many, many fish with a very good average size.

Total for the trip for 6 guys and 2 1/2 days fishing was 74 trout and 1 northern. So far we have improved in numbers of trout caught every year we have been up there, and this year was no exception. Can't wait until February to head up there again. I have a few new lakes I need to see if I can get into to check off my list. Couldn't have asked for a better group of people, or place to stay.

Thanks Superbee!!

P1081344.jpg

P1081352.jpg

P1081354.jpg

P1091361.jpg

P1091359.jpg

"FishingVermillion" was up over the weekend and had some great fishing for the lakers. Caught some excellent numbers and reported most fish in the 5-8# range. I am sure "FishingVermillion" will chime in and give more details and post some pics.

Hey Lucas, Thanks again for the awsome time..

We sure had a awsome trip up at your cabin on Pipestone. The place is top notch! I didn't know what to expect up there but everything was extremely well kept and cozy, and if we forgot ANYTHING we found it there!!

We even got a little 'wiser' one night thanks to the last group up there. And we left a few tips in the log book for others to enjoy.

Just the 2 of us managed 35 Lakers in our couple days up there and we didn't even fish all that hard. We came in for lunch and came in before dark.. We also had a fair amount of time spent mapping things out and checking out some other nearby lakes.

Lucas worked really hard to keep us comfortable! And he even shared a few of his 'secret' lures with us!

It's only a very short drive from the border to some of the most beautiful scenery in the Canadian wilderness and outstanding trout fishing!

We will be back as soon as possible!

Here are a couple pictures of some pretty trout brushing the 30" mark..

PETE

DSC00362.jpg

ME

DSC00363.jpg

Casey, sure wish I would have known you were going in there. I've been in there a couple times on soft water and have talked to Lucas about coming in to the cabin on hard water, but just haven't made it there yet. If you get a wild hair and want to make a return trip let me know. There are some PIG walleyes in that lake too...in fact that is what got me to go there to begin with....maybe we could drag Dave and Cliff up there too! Shoot me an email when you get a moment!

The group that came out of Pipestone yesterday had tougher fishing for the lakers. Managed to catch more than enough to eat and take some home, but the bite was tough. Marked lots of fish but they were not aggressive. Fished on Pipestone, Schistose, Loonhaunt, & Kairskons. The best luck was on Kairskons Lake using white tubes. The lake conditions were excellent with very little slush found during the trip.

The group coming out of Pipestone yesterday had a slower trip than normal, but still managed to catch a decent number of lakers. They fished a few different lakes and had teh best luck with glow tubes again this trip. A few photos from the trip below.

The group that came out of Dogfly yesterday had a similar trip. Had to work hard for the trout caught and managed to catch around 10 a day for their group of 4.

IceFishingLakeTrout2-Copy.jpg

IceFishingLakeTrout1-Copy.jpg

IceFishingLakeTrout-Copy.jpg

Thanks again for the great trip, Superbee. We really appreciated the trip up the lake you made to drop off our forgotten TP. Especially on chili night. Thanks too for the map, now there are no safe trout between Pipestone and Manitou.

Although the fishing was slower than usual, we still caught more than enough fish and had a blast up there. 40 trout in 3 days still isn't half bad. I think we could have caught A LOT more fish, but it wasn't until the last hour of the last day that we started to put a pattern together. During that hour two of us caught 6 trout, lost 6 trout, whiffed a few hooksets, and had a bunch of chasers. Unfortunately, we won't get to test our theories for another year.

I wasn't around when that last trout was caught, but I seem to remember them mentioning it bottomed out the guys little 8lb scale. It was probably a 9-10 pound fish, so very nice, but not huge. The same guy lost one later in the trip that he said was much, much bigger.

Now sets in the 10 month, 2 week, and 4 day wait until our next laker ice fishing trip. Maybe some March crappies might help ease the pain, Superbee???

The groups trout fishing this weekend had a sporatic trout bite until they figured out the pattern. Fishing was difficult in the deeper water and smaller fish. The pattern to the bigger fish were fishing in 15-20 fow. Once they figured this pattern out, the fishing was pretty good. The biggest laker was 32" and had a few others in the 29-31" range. White tubes and tip ups worked best. Tip ups were placed 5' below the ice with ciscos. The walleye bite had mixed results depending on the lakes fished. The small walleye lake off of Pipestone produced the best numbers of eaters this week.

We still have a few openings at the different lakes depending on location.