• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

recommended line for tipups

tjwierz2

Question

I caught my biggest pike ever last weekend, 36" fatty (probably 14lbs) on 12 lb. mono ice line with no leader. It was a miracle I landed the fish.

I need to put new line on my tipups and would like suggestions on what to use? Is Fireline with a leader a good setup? What do you guys use?

4 answers to this question

I have fire line on a few tip-ups but I don't like it. First you need a mono backing or a little glue to keep it from spinning on the spool. Second, the lack of strech is a real problem when you have a big fish on.

I prefer to use Ice Line. It is a teflon coated dacron line and seems to have a little more strech yet is very strong. I think I use the 30 lb on most of my tip-ups.

I use the same line for walleye I just add a 5 ft Flourocarbon leader. I do a lot of tip-up fishing and it has taken me a long time to come up with a combo that I really like. I am going to stick with this combo as it has worked great for me the last two years.

By the way, Nice Pike!!

Scott Steil

I only use tip-ups when Pike fishing so my experience is limited to that. I'm with Scott on the coated specialty tip-up lines. I also use sinking flylines and these work great when I'm fishing deeper. I know folks that use superbraids and I've seen some nice cuts on there hands!

Fisky