• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I goat hunt in the northwest corner of SoDak. Last year I saw very few kids which is attributed to the heavy winter loss suffered by the number of blizzards they got up there in late 08 and the spring of 09. We had a pretty wicked on Christmass eve/day that lasted 48+ hours. As we speak there is a second one brewing and gonna hit tonite/tomorrow with 50 MPH winds and snow. I really hope our GF&P takes a close look on how they are going to mete out the license numbers for '10. I can remember when there was only resident tags and could only get one every 3 years. Anyway, last years numbers were waaaaaay down and I MEAN DOWN. I'm thinkin it's gonna be a limited number, comparitively with single tags for '10.

What do the numbers look like now Paul? A buddy of mine was out there last fall mid-Sept. and had a great time spot and stalking 'lopes w/ his bow. He was told #'s were way down, but said he saw plenty of animals.

We are hoping to get out there this fall, again mid-Sept. for some spot and stalk/decoy 'lope hunting.

Brian

I can't attest to the current numbers of goats as of this spring/summer. However, I can say that you can not buy any big game tag across the counter. You MUST apply thru the GF&P. Those applications are not available as yet. As far as I know you must have a National Bow Hunter Certificate or have hunted in SD with a bow in prior years. The local Rapid City GF&P number is 605-394-2391.

It is true that you must apply for an archery antelope tag, but it was my understanding it was like the archery turkey tags in the black hills. If you apply, you get the tag. I can't find anything on the HSOforum helping you so I'd say call their office.

4 of us just got home today from Buffalo, S.D. on our archery antelope hunt. 2 of the guys were out there last fall for the first time.

They said the numbers were noticably down compared to last year. We averaged 2-3 stalks a day and 3 of us got shots and one guy should have. The one guy hit a nice buck that I missed seconds before.

The buck was on high alert after I missed and I think it ducked the arrow and was hit through the tenderloins area, missing the femoral artery. After 6 miles of following this buck, he was swallowed up by the prairie. For the life of us we couldn't find him, very disappointing!!!

We even talked to a business owner who said he wished the S.D.F.G. would close the firearms antelope season, because of the low numbers. All of the hunter we talked to at the motel had similar reports to ours.

I'm looking forward to going back in a couple of years, when the numbers rebound.

Brian

Brain, I talked to two guys that were over in the Faith area and heard the same story. Where they used to see 100's they were seeing 10's. I agree the season should have been just shut down for the year. Last year the thing was seeing very few kids. Hopefully we will have a tolerable winter and mild spring. I've got double tags and I have NO idea why our GF&P even issued those instead of single tags. I Know I will only take one goat depending on the numbers where I hunt between Crook and Buffalo. Where were you hunting in Harding?

Yes Paul we were in Harding County. We hunted all around Buffalo within a 30-40 mile radius, mainly public ground, but also got permission on a smaller private ranch.

We also only saw a half dozen deer or so while out in the field. One foggy morning we drove around Camp Crook and into MT just to say I've been in MT and saw a lot of deer over in that area. Seemed to be more wooded creek bottoms that helped the deer fair better?

One evening we also went through the hills south of Reva, we NEVER saw a deer!!! It definitely looked like good mule deer country and we were shocked to not see a deer.

If you need anymore info, please feel free to drop me an email at bmc2680 at yahoo dot com.

Brian

I got back from Fall River last night. We saw good numbers. I started antelope hunting in 2006. The numbers this year are less than 2006,07,08 but we saw plenty, more than last year. Its refreshing to see the GFP turn a blind eye on the Antelope 500. If they cared they would actually have to put forth some effort. Its not often you see a govt department willing to not get involved in the daily lives of its constituents.

Just got back from the northwest corner of So.Dak empty handed. On the drive up thru Butte county we saw very few goats. Samew way in the southern portion of Harding. We hunted the late morning and afternoon/evening without seeing any mentionable numbers. The next day we saw a few. I made one futile "sneak" on a small herd but got made. We decided that the numbers were too low to even take one out of the two tags we had. Hope we have a mild winter/spring to bring back the numbers. I'll voice my opinion to our GFP on how, in my opinion, they goofed this season up. I wish they would have just shut it down, period.

We hunted Butte Co and the first weekend of the last season and saw plenty of goats, went 4 for 4 on bucks plus a couple of does. Herd is down some but there seemed to be quite a few, probally saw a hundred goats a day on the ranch we hunted on.

2 of us just returned from the second season of the speed goat season, hunting in the Newell, SD area (Butte Co.). As others have stated, we struggled to see many goats at all - but found success on public land if and only if we were willing to hoof it back in there (as in 4+ miles from road at least). It made for a TON of work in those temps, but we did have success filling 3 of 4 flathead goat tags, all on public land - essentially 2 units. Hunters were everywhere in the first couple miles of any public land...loading the packs with tons of water, snacks, and puttin' on the foot miles paid off for us. As we've done the past 2 years, I'd suggest picking up the antlerless deer tags (also valid during respective goat seasons) as well, in case the goats don't make an appearance at all the year you plan to go.