• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What a mistake!

hamms-scooter

I had my buddy heater hooked to my hose from the other day when it was nicer out and was in the sled of my house .When i looked everything over i wasnt missing anything. Oh yes the fact that the temp was like 1 out and getting colder as the day went today( left the lake at 6:45 it was 7 below). That darn thing could barely keep the holes open let alone keep me warm! The guide was sealed all around the bottom too.Oh yeah on high all day! So mad i didnt hook up the htr/ckr, im switching it back tomorrow and its stayng that way...no more cold days!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love my heater/cooker

yeah i switched to the heater cooker .. keep my tank in the sled and run a hose to the corner of the house where the heater unit sits. I can sit all day no problem with it. hahaha julians up to no good again ??

I was out all day today up north in my 2 man running a big buddy heater and had to keep turning it down to medium because it was getting too warm in the shack. It kept up with the colder temp just fine. It was -4 at 4:00 when we came in for the day.

I have a Mr. Heater/Cooker too and like it for all the reasons already stated...One problem I have is with the hose that's hooked up to the tank and runs to the heater. It is as hard as a rock and will not allow me to bend it which makes using it difficult. I have a 5' green hose...anything better out there to help with this problem. I believe I bought the hose at Gander.

It has nothing to do with the brand of heater. It has everything to do with BTU/hour output and the ability of the shelter to hold the heat (insulation).

The Mr. Heater/Big Buddy heater produces up to 18,000 BTU/hour on the high setting. The Mr. Heater/Cooker produces up to 14,000 BTU/hour. The Big Buddy would be able to do the job better.

The Mr. Heater/Buddy only produces up to 9,000 BTU/Hour. The Big Buddy produces this at its medium setting.

But talk about how spoiled we've become. We complain about it being cold on a lake in January! Heck, this is nothing. I can remember my younger years on the iron range fishing when the daily highs were barely above -20 with wind-chills in the -60 degree range and I didn't own a portable. We lit fires on the ice to keep warm.

I'll never forget the time a buddy and I were out on Ely lake. This time we had my rusty old 1967 Ford F150 with us to warm up. The crappies started biting. By the time we brought in the fish, put on another minnow and got it back down the hole, our fingers were all but frost bit. At one point I looked out the window of the truck and saw my buddy's bobber go down. When I told him about it, his response was, "So what!"

Now that's cold.

Can you guys tell me what part no. hose it is to use with the Heater/Cooker? I see the part no's for the Buddy heaters, but I can't find the recommended one for the Heater/Cooker. I am purchasing one today and want to do it right the first time. Also for the heater/cooker, do I need a fuel filter? Thanks guys!

I had both my sunflower and a big buddy running in the garage yesterday, the sunflower easily heated better than the big buddy. Granted I have mine modified to push over 20,000 BTU but even in the shack my heater/cooker gets the nod. I have infinate settings on mine allowing for a more consistant heating temp. The 1 time I used the BB in my shack I had to keep turning it up then turning it down to try and keep an even temp.

If the tank blew up would a thin layer of fabric save your life??

I don't think so laugh

But the tank does have a pretty big footprint and it's nice to get it out of the way.

Plus if there is a rare instance of it leaking at the tank, it is dissolved into the atmosphere instead of building up a nice charge inside the tent wink

I use part #F273032 without a filter.

It's a 12ft black hose.

DO NOT buy the green one. It will work, but the hose is so stiff it makes it almost unusable.

Do i need a filter for my 5lb tank and ht/cr? I dont have one now...Is it a big difference in how long theralcoupler will last?

41ZDUikBjYL._SS500_.jpg

It has nothing to do with the brand of heater. It has everything to do with BTU/hour output and the ability of the shelter to hold the heat (insulation).

The Mr. Heater/Big Buddy heater produces up to 18,000 BTU/hour on the high setting. The Mr. Heater/Cooker produces up to 14,000 BTU/hour. The Big Buddy would be able to do the job better.

The Mr. Heater/Buddy only produces up to 9,000 BTU/Hour. The Big Buddy produces this at its medium setting.

But, you can almost buy 3 heater/cookers for the price of 1 Big buddy. And I really like hot soup!

The original Buddy Heater is the biggest bunch of marketing hoooey to ever hit the ice in the heater world.

The Big Buddy is a bit different creature (and much better than a Buddy Heater), but a regular sunflower head or heater/cooker is still the best bet for heat IMO.

I've been doing this for over 15 years and have learned many of these lessons years ago. If its below 0, you better have some kind of sunflower heater.

Originally Posted By: fishersofmen
If the tank blew up would a thin layer of fabric save your life??

Plus if there is a rare instance of it leaking at the tank, it is dissolved into the atmosphere instead of building up a nice charge inside the tent wink

yup, 1 cubic foor of hydrogen will blow a dishwasher to pieces.. emagine what 20 square feet of lp would do?