• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Master software

Question

Has anyone tried these lake master contour lake maps. I heard they were very usefull, but also heard bad reviews. Basically I'm wondering if its worth the money. Thank You

15 answers to this question

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You will love the Lakemaster Reelbottom Maps. Super accurate.

heck the New FishingMinnesota Gear link above to see em and get more info.

It was mentioned that the Mille Lacs Lakemaster software has problems with Windows 2000, but has since been resolved. Does this mean that if I buy the software today, the problem has been resolved, or is there some upgrade or something that I would need to purchase as well? Thanks for the info! I am planning on buying the MLacs version soon to use on my Win2000 PC.

I had to get the upgrade off of the HSOforum. I don't know if they have changed the software itself. I would just give them a call. They have very good service. My only complaint is that there service hours are normal business hours. If I have questions, I have to call from home on my lunch break.

I purchased the Mille Lacs software off this site and installed it last night. Within the first 30 minutes, the program locked up on me 6 times and I had to restart my PC each time. Within the FAQ included with the software, it mentions to "decrease the hardware acceleration" to alleviate some of the lock-ups. I understand computers, but have no idea what "decrease the hardware acceleartion" means or how to do this. Any help with getting this to work better? The software looks great, based on what I could do before it locked up. (I'm using Win2000)

jjr
I had that same problem on my Win2k pc. Do you have a GPS connected to your pc. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76 and had to decrease the COM port connection speed. I had to contact the software manufacturer and they were very helpful. They may be able to troubleshoot your issue if you give them a call.

jjr, 1st to change the hardware acceleration, go to the desktop and then right click on the icon for my computer and then click properties, then the tab for performance, then graphics. This will take you to where you can turn down the hardware acceleration. This is with Windows 98. It will be somewhat different with Windows 2000 or Windows XP. But it should still be somewhere under my computer propterties.

This will usually slow down the graphics a little but should help with locking up.

Good Luck
Scott

Here is what I have done before for some of the lakes that LakeMaster MN does not show contour data, via the "poor man" method:

1.Print out a copy of the MN DNR contour map, preferably on 11x17 paper, even better, on a clear transparency sheet.
2. Find the lake on the lakemaster map, I've found that many if not all MN lakes are on the map (but may not have contour data)
3. zoom in/out so that the outline of the lake on the lakemaster screen is about the same size as on the print-out.
4. You now have a contour overlay to hold up to or tape to your screen, find your spot on the contour map and create a waypoint in the same relative spot on the lakemaster map.

This may sound crazy but it does work. I found a sunken island on Green Lake (Princeton) very accurately by doing this.
TL

The program works great, I would highly recomend. I just finished loading a dozen waypoints to my GPS for my outing on Buffalo lake tommorrow. It can be a bit confusing to run at first but once you get the hang of how it works it is a lot of fun. Helps cut down on fishing unproductive water.

Good thinking D-man, I went to the DNR mapping site, apparently the copyright restriction is on commercial use only, this is what it says:

Commercial use of lake maps and data
The DNR retains the copyright on these lake maps. To re-produce, re-publish, or utilize any lake information commercially, you must file a license agreement form with the Lake Mapping Program. Please download, fill out and send in the Lake Map License Agreement form .

I am assuming that since the maps are available for download, they're fair game for printing, for personal use??? I'd be happy to send a retraction to my original post if anyone can show otherwise.

TL