• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL-18 Modifications

Question

I was thinking of adding a power switch to the FL-18 so I don't have to mess with plugging in the battery or have the battery indicator light on all the time. Anybody else done this?

3 answers to this question

I have been thinking about putting some sort of switch on mine since I got it (just haven't gotten around to it!). I was thinking of maybe a 3-position switch. One position would be "off" (which would be like leaving the positive wire disconnected from the battery), another position would be "on" (pretty much self-explanatory) and the third position would be "charge" (this would divert the positive lead from the battery to some sort of quick-release connector). I suppose only a 2-position switch would be needed if the quick-release connector had terminals that were pretty well protected. I just wouldn't want the possibility of anything touching these terminals and shorting out the battery during storage so thought the 3-position option would be "safer".

Well I put the switch in last night at work and it turned out great. I will take a picture and post it in about 2 weeks. I put in a On/Off switch with a lock between the two positions so you have to pull out on the switch a little and then move it, so it doesn't accidently get tripped on. I mounted it right above the battery indicator and covered the back of the switch with heat shrink and potted it. So I do not see anymore mods for the fl-18. The switch and the foam under the batt were it. I also used heat shring to attach the reel to my new rod and it worked good also. It is a Genz rod and I used 1.5" clear heat shrink.