• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

marcum making noise

Like the title says my brand new marcum just started making noise. I bought it at the ice show and messed around with it a few times at home. Today I turned it on and after roughly 5 seconds it starts humming real loudly. This isn't the normal noise that you hear if you stick your ear up close to it, it is much louder. Does any one think this is a problem worth looking in to or will it be fine? Thanks

what Jay suggested is correct also check the base gimbal mounts to make sure there secure. The only time mine gets loud if the above is not the case is if there is a lot of humidity. I have a couple more steps if Jay or my suggestion doesn't work. Let us know and welcome to the NY forum of Fishing Minnesota..

Heck I'll just tell you...

Turn the unit on make sure the transducer is 24" exactly suspended from a hard surface i.e. kitchen tile floor, etc... Make sure the gain knob is on zero. Next turn the unit on now slowly start bringing up the gain until you see the first blip of yellow signal and let me know here what it reads.

Another tip is while it's in the same position turn your zoom on to split the screen and let me know if the top red mark and bottom red mark are perfectly centered at the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock mark?

Right now its not doing it any more, so i dont know why it was or what was causing it.

At 24" with the gain just below 3 it reads just over 8.5 feet.

Also the red lines appear to be lined up.

So if it gives me any more problems i will let you know. Thanks Again

Right now its not doing it any more, so i dont know why it was or what was causing it.

Could have been humidity and maybe they could have run in it in a bit more before it left the factory.. I know that each MarCum has to pass a 70 step tester before there bagged and packed from the factory.

At 24" with the gain just below 3 it reads just over 8.5 feet.

Excellent! That's perfect...

Also the red lines appear to be lined up.

Outstanding..

So if it gives me any more problems i will let you know. Thanks Again

Not a problem.. Where you from in NY?

I would loosly place it in your trap and hook it to a wheeler or snowmobile, then blast down the lake looking for a pressure ridge. hit the pressure ridge as hard as you can (your looking for unit distance)once you slow down and drive back to gather your unit it should work perfectly...thats what i did and its worked like a top ever since...they need a little fear placed into their little ducers and they wont act up ever again!

If it gives me any more problems I will give that a try Kyle, sounds like it will work good.

And Tim, I live up by Watertown, near Croghan if you have ever heard of it. It's close to Lake Bonaparte. So I'll be fishing that a lot this year. Had 3" of clear ice Saturday night!!

Thanks again for the help. It's nice knowing I have a spot to get quick ansewers if I run into problems

Welcome to the site.. Croghan eh? Fastpitch men's tournaments for softball are up there and I think a couple of guys from your way play ball in the Northern league here. cool Bonaparte, never fished it but drove by it. Fished a couple with Lee that way but I don't think we stopped at Lake Bonaparte confused