• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Those plastic ice houses...................

slotfish

Question

Hey all,
Did anyone see those plastic (tank) looking portable ice houses at the ice fishing show this past weekend? Seems like a pretty cool idea. The salesman I talked to said they are "all the rave" with Canadian ice fishermen. I suppose for the ideal situation the would work remarkably. Has anyone out there ever fished out of one?

Slotfish

[This message has been edited by slotfish (edited 12-09-2002).]

10 answers to this question

slotfish, ya I looked at those house's at the show, they looked kinda neat, but I would have to wonder what it would be like inside of the house when it's zero outside and a guy has a heater goin inside, would one get rained on from the condensation? not sure. how cold would the wall's beto lean back on? not sure. ricbak

What are you guys talking about? Could you describe 'em for the rest of us that were out of driving distance from the show. Always on the lookout for the latest/greatest invention on ice ...

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

I stopped to look at them too. I did not spend much more time checking them out when I checked the weight of those things. 400# for the larger one and 275# for the smaller one. That's quite a bit of weight to be lifting it in and out of the pickup box. I never did check the price.

I seen a tank style house a couple years back made by a farmer in NE SD. Cool deal too.

He converted an AG-Tank that was about 6' tall and 8' in diameter. The inside walls was sprayed with foam insulation and the floor connected to a plywood base and skids, with the inside floor coated with truck bed liner.

It looked like a lime green igloo with a chimney. He could move it with an ATV with not much effort. Not a bad idea really.

Over time you see just about anything converted into a ice house, some work while others....well...they can make for some good jokes.

Like a 2 hole outhouse rig I seen once Devils Lake ND, that was funny as heck. It had "Da [PoorWordUsage]per Patrol" on the side, HA!

I like that big grainbin a guy has converted into a fish house thats been sitting on Arnesons reef the last couple years. Sleep upstairs- fish downstairs, does'nt look very portable though.

Fisky

Slotfish

I saw those houses at a bait shop in Clearwater MN (off I94) while deer hunting,
I started a thread on them at that time - has what I learned about them.

Here's a link....

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001034.html

Just an observation - my kid and I looked at them at the show. I am 6'0 and he's 6'2 - and with the two of us in one, there wasn't alot of spare room left over, much less space for a heater, and asst'd gear.

UG

I was most impressed with "Custom" fish houses out of Alexandria with their aluminum EPS panel construction, and "Dakota Litehouse" with their innovations as well. I wish I would of thought of that! I like the new "catch covers" as well. I suggested they make some square hole models too. -Troy

I saw them in clearwater too. Me and a buddy tried to lift one up.....whew! Not easy to get that baby in the back of your truck. If they were much, much cheaper, People would buy them. But you get what you pay for.......a 1/4 ton piece of tupperware.