• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vex batter head scratcher

Steve Foss

Question

Well, had my FL8-SLT out, fully charged, on Sunday. Didn't use it much first few hours (tip-ups only). When I got it going for the night bite, ten minutes in it crapped out, colors started getting darker and dimmer like they do when the battery's drained.

Turned it off. Half hour later, turned it on, gave me 3 minutes of good service, then crapped out again. Kept doing that over and over again. Figured I just needed a new battery.This is only on its fifth year and I've kept it charged like the good book says, but whatever.

Brought it indoors last night and put a charge on it (showed full charge in 10 minutes). Turned it on and left it on. Basement is about 60 degrees. Twenty-three hours later, it's only now starting to fade.

I know Vex batteries are supposed to take the cold, but all I can figure is that it crapped out because it froze. There is no crack in the battery or any other visible problem. I have the pro-pack, the circular black plastic case where the battery sits right on the bottom. I have the blue soft case over it, but usually it sits right on the ice.

Think I'll give it another try. I'll put in some Styrofoam spacers between battery and base and keep the unit off the ice to keep it from getting too cold. May build my own holder out of some weathered cedar I've got laying around, too.

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new battery? What you think?

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

2 answers to this question

ONLY on it's 5th year huh?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is time for a new battery. I am surprised you got 5 years out of it.

You got your moneys worth and then some to say the least.

PCG