• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

insulating portable?

slick2526

Question

just wondering if any of you have figured out a way to insulate your portable for when its really cold out? Im going to by my uncles frabill speed shack. I wanted to insulate it sort of also. its a 2 man. i was think of bringing fan fold to do the sides but that busts easily. maybe string space blankets around the side? i dont want it to be permanent but just somewhat of a solution not to lose so much heat. thanks

14 answers to this question

You bring up a good topic..I have an otter and my back always gets cold when the temp really drops. I ended up wrapping a wool blanket around the back of my lawn chair and that seemed to work.

I was surprised how much of a difference it makes when you pack some snow around the side that is getting most of the wind.
You might also want to check for gaps or small holes in the canvas where cold air can sneak in..

Just some ideas...Swill

slick2526,
I think you could get some of the material that they wrap hot water heaters in. The stuff that looks like packing bubbles with a metallic sheen. You could cut it to size and tack it on or velcro it. You probably would even be able to fold the trap down with it installed.

Darn, gave away another million dollar idea grin.gif

I have used the tin foil looking insulation with the bubbles inside for 4 years. Had a portable 8 x 8 and all the heat was going out the roof. This material was designed to insulate between rafters. Comes in a 4 foot wide roll. I just cut it to length and went between my support poles and the canvas, up one side across the top and back down the oposite side. Made a huge difference was fishing in shirt sleeves instead of a parka.

I have a speed shack and the best thing I have found, til that million $$ idea about the H2O insulation, is to put snow around the entire perimeter of the shack. Kinda' hard this year with little to no snow around, just use the cast off from drilling holes. You may have to drill a couple extra holes, just drill all the way through as not to make booby traps out of them.

I've got a Fish Trap II. I shovel snow around the edges, and from the inside, which I scoop slush out of the hole and push it away from the hole, I can use the sluch to plug gaps along the ice. I've got a Coleman Black Cat heater that puts out only 4,000 BTUs, and that will keep my two-man plenty warm unless it's below zero. Then I crank up the Coleman lantern, and nothing gets me cold.

REFLECTEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been using it in my clam sleeper and my fishtrapp for a decade.
It makes a HUGE differance.

------------------
Eat,sleep,fish.
Eat fish, wake up smellin fishy

i have had some bad times pushing slush out on the sides of the house. when it refreezes that can be a b****. if there is alot of snow just pack it all over. with no snow the rectangle houses work alot better than the sleds. just my 3 cents

------------------
Good luck sticking pigs this year!

I think Tunatroller is correct in the name, reflectrex. Fleet Farm, Menards have it for sure. Look in the insulation section or the pipe insulation section. I also duct taped the edges all the way around for more strength. I just purchased another portable, a one man, so I'll buying some more myself.

i fished with a fellow that glued that silver foil type bubble wrap on the inside walls of his clam sleeper. what a difference. he just pre cut each piece to fit a perticular place on the wall, then spread contact cement of some kind, then stuck the piece to the wall. it was a little bulkier to fold up, but it wasn't a problem. i don't know exactly what glue he used, but it sure worked good. i'm gonna do it to my 6x8.

------------------
keep your stick on the ice!---jigglestick---

Jigglestick, my thoughts to doing that is doesnt mostiure build up in between the fabric of his fish house and the insulation. If that happends it would be harder on the material on your fish house making it rot easier. any suggestions on what to use just to tack it on? I was thinking maybe just some big closing pins. or something along that line. let me know what you think. I just recieved my vexilar today after ordering 2 weeks ago direct from the HSOforum. That really busts my chops. Gave me a fake shipping number, and said it should be there in the next couple of days. I call there to find out it hasnt even been sent out to the shipping company yet.