• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilars good for open water fishing?

Question

I fished with a friends Vexilar FL8SLT this winter and the thing was absolutely AMAZING! Caught tons of suspended crappies that I never would've caught without it. MY QUESTION: Are these as valuable and do they work as well in the summer? Obviously, some type of graph is a good idea to see bottom structure etc... But I considering getting a FL8 with the puck transducer for the trolling motor. Anyone have any suggestions...is it a good idea or should you just throw that $250 into one of the best graphs? Any help is appreciated.

3 answers to this question

The FL-8 does work good for summer fishing. If you liked using it in the winter, buy the ice fishing set-up for the FL-8. Then spend the $45 for the summer kit, it gives you a puck style transducer, gimble bracket, power cord, and hardware so all you have to do is swap the head unit to go from winter to summer.
A 1 pound coffee can painted flat black works great for a sun shield on the FL-8.

Rob

I fished with a friends Vexilar FL8SLT this winter and the thing was absolutely AMAZING! Caught tons of suspended crappies that I never would've caught without it. MY QUESTION: Are these as valuable and do they work as well in the summer? Obviously, some type of graph is a good idea to see bottom structure etc... But I considering getting a FL8 with the puck transducer for the trolling motor. Anyone have any suggestions...is it a good idea or should you just throw that $250 into one of the best graphs? Any help is appreciated.

The Vexilar FL-8 is a very good unit for all seasons.
One thing it shines at is river use, all year long.

If you have a fiberglass boat try installing the puck transducer in the hull near the rear sump, great preformance if properly installed. Fallow there directions carefully to insure a good signal.

Mounting on a trolling more is a great option too, same reasons as for ice fishing. A wider cone angle is better for summer use or go with the duel beam puck to pinpoint fish if calm conditions.

Just like in the ice hole you need to get a good angle on the signal to see the bait and fish so expect some variation if you use a 9 degree puck and not the 19.

I just received from Vexilar a new FL-8 SLT Pro-Pack Deluxe with all the summer hardware and a high speed and a puck transducer. A very economical way to get the whole shooting match us the Deluxe Pro-Pack.

This is a new model that is more Day-light friendly as compared to the past displays. So far I would say it is 60% easier to see and my target separation is much better on this unit than my last one. I still recommend a good pair of gray polarized glass's on sunny days though or the reflection from the sun off the snow wears out your eyes fast.

Preformance is very good, you should be very pleased.

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

Backwater Guiding Service
><ED ON THE RED>
[email protected]
(701)-671-3079