Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

Vexilars good for open water fishing?

I use fl-8 on my trolling moter I really like it with one draw back when it's sunny you can't make out the lights they make a tube to put over it but that's not much help. I think it works better for ice fishing but still is nice in the boat. I run a lowrance sonar and I don't get any interferance with the fl-8 when i run both at the same time.

The FL-8 does work good for summer fishing. If you liked using it in the winter, buy the ice fishing set-up for the FL-8. Then spend the $45 for the summer kit, it gives you a puck style transducer, gimble bracket, power cord, and hardware so all you have to do is swap the head unit to go from winter to summer.
A 1 pound coffee can painted flat black works great for a sun shield on the FL-8.

Rob

I fished with a friends Vexilar FL8SLT this winter and the thing was absolutely AMAZING! Caught tons of suspended crappies that I never would've caught without it. MY QUESTION: Are these as valuable and do they work as well in the summer? Obviously, some type of graph is a good idea to see bottom structure etc... But I considering getting a FL8 with the puck transducer for the trolling motor. Anyone have any suggestions...is it a good idea or should you just throw that $250 into one of the best graphs? Any help is appreciated.

The Vexilar FL-8 is a very good unit for all seasons.
One thing it shines at is river use, all year long.

If you have a fiberglass boat try installing the puck transducer in the hull near the rear sump, great preformance if properly installed. Fallow there directions carefully to insure a good signal.

Mounting on a trolling more is a great option too, same reasons as for ice fishing. A wider cone angle is better for summer use or go with the duel beam puck to pinpoint fish if calm conditions.

Just like in the ice hole you need to get a good angle on the signal to see the bait and fish so expect some variation if you use a 9 degree puck and not the 19.

I just received from Vexilar a new FL-8 SLT Pro-Pack Deluxe with all the summer hardware and a high speed and a puck transducer. A very economical way to get the whole shooting match us the Deluxe Pro-Pack.

This is a new model that is more Day-light friendly as compared to the past displays. So far I would say it is 60% easier to see and my target separation is much better on this unit than my last one. I still recommend a good pair of gray polarized glass's on sunny days though or the reflection from the sun off the snow wears out your eyes fast.

Preformance is very good, you should be very pleased.

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

Backwater Guiding Service
><ED ON THE RED>
backwtr1@fishingminnesota.com
(701)-671-3079