• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

09 550 griz vs 450 griz

cowdoc

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I am buying my 1st atv(if loan goes through). I will use it mainly for ice fishing and some trail riding;however, I would also like to use it for snow plowing. My driveways about 100 yards long, dirt with big dips and ruts forming, so would also like to be able to plow/spread some class 5 gravel if this is feasible with an atv. I'll have about 10 to 11 grand to work with. Out of this I need to purchase my atv, a trailer to haul it with(want to use trailer for other hauling needs also),a portable fish house, flasher unit, and a heavy duty plow setup. I,ve read all other posts comparing models, and like some others, I am not loyal to a brand, and also don't want to start brand bashing. May still look at Polaris 500, just have heard so much about the Grizzes reliability.Great advice already given on this subject I know. Mainly I'd like objective opinions on whether the extra money (about 1000) for a 550 would be a good idea given it will reduce my ability to buy quality in the other items. I like the recoil start option on the 450 even though some think its so hard to use as to be useless, still seems nice to have a chance should starting system screw up in middle of nowhere. I don't think the 550 has this option. I don't know if the power steering is plus or not.Might be just 1 more high tech gizmo to break down some day, can you still steer if it does? I'm leaning to the 450, but don't want to regret not being able to plow if I'm underpowered.

I apologize for the long post, but this is prob. the only atv I'll ever be able to get. Can't believe I got the wife talked into this one. All replies appreciated.

In your situation, I would say hands down to opt for the 450. The grand you save will purchase the fish house, a good flasher such as a Marcum, and a winch to work in conjunction with the plow.

This leaves the trailer and the plow itself to purchase. I can tell you the 450 with the low range will have plenty of power to push some gravel around or snow for that matter.

Search back for FishinJunky's post about his 450 and tire/wheel upgrade.

For what it's worth, my dad had a 400 Sportsman (425cc) and had no problem pushing black dirt.

The 450 will do anything the 550 will do. Plow in low gear and it will push a huge amount of snow until weight becomes a factor. Power steering would be great, and IF it did break your back to "normal" atv steering. The 450 is smaller in stature then the 550, and as you pointed out has a recoil back-up which to me is a HUGE plus. The 450 has a rear sealed wet brake and a 2" receiver also which are both excellent features in my book. I'd lean towards the 450, and see if any dealers have left-over 08's-09's they are willing to deal on.

I have an 05' Kodiak 450 (same as Grizzly). I am very happy with it, with diff-lock and hi-low range it can do anything. I put chains on it in the winter and can drag my heavy icehouse all over the lake. I've had a plow for a couple years and it handles that just fine as well summer & winter. The long part of my driveway is gravel, and I use the blade during the summer to grade/fill potholes. Very reliable, good all around machine, my only regret is not getting it in camo.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything less than a 650-700. Myself and most people have been down this road before. "There is no replacement for displacement." Especially for plowing and towing the extra power and torque comes in handy. The 450-550 will get the job done for sure but you don't want to be beating yourself on the head down the road because you want more power. There are some really good deals on 4 wheelers right now. You can get a 700cc class wheeler for about 6 grand new.

Well from personal experience I can tell you that it does make a difference. Torque plays a big difference. Have you watched atv sled pulls or watched 2 atvs play tug of war? There is reason why all of those atv's are 700cc plus. I have had many different 4 wheelers of different sizes and there is a big difference with a 400cc single cylinder to a 750cc vtwin when it comes to this

I watched a bone-stock Kawasaki 300 Prairie beat out much larger machines in a mud run. There are many other factors to be weighed in as far as functionality goes.

Equipped right, a 450 Grizz in low range will do the job when it comes to plowing.

Let me equip a 450 grizz the way I want and hook it up behind a 700 Class machine with turf tires and let's have a tug-of-war.

My point is, it isn't all about the displacement. A 450 will take a person across a frozen lake just the same as a 700.

Yes a 450 will do the job, not arguing that.

But if you set up a 450 equal to a big bore atv there will be a difference.

Dont start this I saw a 300cc do this or that........There is a reason why you ONLY see big bore atv's on the mud national circuit.

Yes a 450 will do the job, not arguing that.

But if you set up a 450 equal to a big bore atv there will be a difference.

Dont start this I saw a 300cc do this or that........There is a reason why you ONLY see big bore atv's on the mud national circuit.

Honestly Larson, I brought the 300 into the equation to dispell your claim that of 'There's no replacement for displacement'.

You're entitled to your opinion, but the OP was looking to get the most bang for his buck. He gave his target area for machines to choose from. Let's stick to what he wants and provide the best information based on his intended purchase.

Guys, I think he's talking about pulling a portable fishhouse around, as that is what his budget will allow. I don't think he needs an 800cc machine that weighs half a ton to do that. Where did he write that he was joining a mudding circuit and attending ATV pulls? I must have missed that.

How about this: He has 10g, make a list for him with prices! He needs:

-a 4x4 hi/lo range atv (400-500cc)

-a trailer to haul it with (for other hauling needs also)

-a portable fish house

-flasher unit

-a heavy duty plow setup and winch

-recomendations with prices with what's leftover (wheels, tires, windshield, helmet, warmers, accessories, etc...)

All I'm trying to say is...........

-If you do some shopping you can probably find something a lil bigger for the same kind of money.

-He mentioned that its the only atv he will ever be able to get. If this is the case you want to make sure you get one that you are happy with. Not beating yourself over the head a year from now b/c you wished you got a bigger one.

In my experience people who buy there first atv wish they had bought bigger.

Guys, I think he's talking about pulling a portable fishhouse around, as that is what his budget will allow. I don't think he needs an 800cc machine that weighs half a ton to do that. Where did he write that he was joining a mudding circuit and attending ATV pulls? I must have missed that.

How about this: He has 10g, make a list for him with prices! He needs:

-a 4x4 hi/lo range atv (400-500cc)

-a trailer to haul it with (for other hauling needs also)

-a portable fish house

-flasher unit

-a heavy duty plow setup and winch

-recomendations with prices with what's leftover (wheels, tires, windshield, helmet, warmers, accessories, etc...)

Like he said as as mentioned by others , if he wanted a big honking gas guzzler he would have asked about one . I've run both and I can guarantee you that my 400 will push as much snow as any bigbore anytime anywhere as Lep and Mcgurk also say .

In low range the little guys will get the job done more than adequately . The 450 will get the job done without anymore wear and tear on the machine than a bigbore and by using alot less fuel . The 550 is nice because of the option of power steering but other than that the difference other than the cc's on paper is miniumal .

He's not running the mud nationals trying to spin monster tires here . He wants to fish and plow his driveway . A bigbore would be overkill and similar to taking a tractor trailer to the corner store for a bag of milk but heah I guess there is no replacement for displacement . LOL

H/L range is more of a requirement than are the cc's .

TD

[NOTE FROM ADMIN: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You]

A 450 will burn the same amount of fuel as a 700. I have seen it proven! For you to say they are gas guzzlers you are wrong. I had a 400 with low range before and it doesnt even come close to plowing snow or towing compared to my 750. Everyone that thinks power cc's aren't a big issue...well you must ride like a grandpa then.

" A bigbore would be overkill and similar to taking a tractor trailer to the corner store for a bag of milk but heah I guess there is no replacement for displacement . LOL"

That 450 sits on the same frame as the 700 with the same weight. There is no replacement for displacement. The biggest mistake people make when buying an atv is not buying one big enough. I reccomend you at least buy the 550 Everytime I talk to someone I ride with that has a sub 500cc quad has this regret!

This is a dumb argument and everyone has there own self-prided opinion. I just want to make sure this guy gets the most bang for the buck. Maybe a 450 is enough power for most, for me its not even close. If there is only $800 between a 450 and a 700 I know where my money would be going.

Whatever he decides he will have to live with especially if its the last quad he will ever get to buy!

Larson I think you have voiced your opinion, just because its not the same as others, doesn't make it right or wrong.

I will still say, and know for fact that you will run out of traction first before you run out of power when pushing snow.

Given your budget, I'd go with either the 450 or 550 and use the extra $$ for the other stuff. I plow a driveway with a 500 that's about as long as yours and have never run into a snow that couldn't be handled with it, nor have I ever longed for more power. Not better or worse - That's just me.

As for the other stuff, prices will be all over the place. My rule has always been to do it right the first time - so I only have to buy something once. Don't skimp on the trailer, winch or plow system and they should give you years of reliable use. This is where the cost savings on the ATV can come into play. Heck, if you're worried about the ATV, you can always get an extended warranty.

For instance - You can get a 'nice' trailer for under $1000, but you could spend another $500 or so and get one of much higher quality.

Just take your time, do the research and go out and look at as many things as possible. Then make YOUR decision based on your own personal preferences.

Feel free to post about all the other stuff too. People will tell you their honest opinions on trailers, flashers, shelters etc. Do a search on here, there's lots of info.

Happy shopping!

I have a 2002 Sportsman 400. It has pulled elk and mule deer, plowed amazing amounts of snow, and pulled some pretty big logs.

I have not been left wanting for power very often. For pulling a portable, it does it with ease until snow depth becomes a factor, then the sleds come out.

My father in law has a Sportsman 700. I like it very much, but not to the extent to where I want to upgrade.

The one thing I would also look at is the weight of each machine. I am still using a 2wd 1992 Yamaha 350 for ice fishing. The thing I really like is that when I get stuck (very rare for this to happen), I can pick up the front or rear, move it over, and I'm on my way. All my friends with the big 4wd's that get stuck must get a tow or find something to hook the winch to. Just some food for thought. If I was buying new I would definitely get 4wd.

I have owned three 4-wheelers; a Honda 300, a Yamaha Kodiak 450 (same as Grizzly), and a recently purchased Yamaha Grizzly 550 with power steering. I have used all of them for plowing snow and pulling my 6 ft. by 10 ft. permanent fish house on and off the lake. I live on a lake and use the 4-wheeler for many other tasks, such as pulling my docks out, hauling firewood, pulling my boats around the yard, etc. I'm retired, and use the 4-wheeler for utility purposes and do not trail ride. In my mind, all of these machines did these chores just as well. I never thought the 300 was inadequate plowing snow, docks, etc., let alone the 450. Why have I moved up in size each time, and get power steering? Because I wanted to. Not because I had to. By the way, I really like the power steering.

alg,

you bring up a very good point that nobody has touched on as of yet. AGE!!!!

A person's age will often dictate how much machine they need or what features they need to fulfill the tasks they perform. In your case, the power steering will make it easier on aging arms by making it easier to steer and eliminate the bump steer.

Well your right about one thing Larson I do ride like a grampa and will continue to although I am not one as of yet .LOL grin What does that have to do with plowing or getting out to the fishing grounds pulling a porty ?.

Trust me if your putting all those cc's your talking about to the ground at full bore you will be spinning and not going anywhere especially plowing . The point of plowing or pulling any load is to keep traction to maintain forward momentum .Going balls out will not get the job done and also pretty well guaranteed to bust something if she does bite . And yes I can spin all 4 anytime I wish with my 400 as well . Even pull a wheelie if I must . grin

No matter what brand or how many cc's the frames are only rated for so much and even the difference between a 400 and and an 800 or even the big 1000 cc thundercat might be 50 lbs if that .

Yes some will wish they had bought a bigger bike but I'm not one of them and actually went the other way and am happier that I did . And yes they are easier on fuel and cheaper also to insure . Bigger is not better for his needs that the man has stated and that's what were talking about here .

The 450 will do likely around 55mph and the 550 60mph plus .How fast does one plow or go fishing ? My 400 does close to 50 and I sure don't plow at that speed . wink

Now if I was wanting to turn tracks I would go more cc's but that's a whole other convo .

TD