• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Loretta?

I just talked to someone the other day that thought that Lake Loretta has been overfished in the last few years and it is going to take a while to catch up. I personnaly wouldn't know. But I plan on heading up there this season.

Perchpapa

Used to live in Grand Forks.

The perch in Laretta were fished down the first two seasons the word got out. From lots of 1.25 to 1.5 pounders it was down to very few over 10 inches and lots of littler fish when I last fished it (two ice fishing seasons ago in the winter of 2000/01).

But the pike were phenomenal, and still should be. They don't need 1.5 pound perch to eat to get fat and big.

Had lots of fun on tip-ups anytime during the season, and N.D.'s liberal 4-line policy made it easy for two, or even one guy, to cover some water. I scattered tips and jigged big Jigging Raps and Northland Rattle Spoons along the breaks from 6 to 20 feet wherever we found a point.

Biggest I had were a pair of twin 13-pound females that came in March with two feet of water under the ice on Rose lake, the little lake attached to Laretta.

But I had lots of pike action with fish to 8-10 pounds every time out. By now, there are fish in the mid to upper teens swimming Laretta gobbling perch.

Makes a nice alternative to D.L. when that wind's blowing like crazy on the big water. Nice to sit in your warm pickup and wait for the flags to fly. grin.gif

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]