• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Right now would be considered the frozen water period according to the folks at In-Fisherman. We'll enter the coldwater period at ice-out through water temps into the upper 30's. The pre-spawn period begins when the water temps are in the upper 30's through the mid 40's.

Walleyes will begin the spawn at about 45 until 52 degrees.

Walleye this time of year are beginning to make small movements toward their intended spawing areas. The biggest movement is triggered by flowing water. This year we will have zero runoff from snowmelt unless we get hit with a spring blizzard. This may effect the intensity of the staging.

Big females are extremely vulnerable now until they disperse after spawning since they are stacking up in a smaller area. I hope everyone shows common sense and does not put undo pressure on them by keeping them. It doesn't matter when you kill a fish, a dead spotential spawner is a dead potential spawner anytime of the year. But this time of year they are exposed to over harvest more so than anyother time of the year. If we as fisherman cannot show common sense towards the fishery, the Game and Fish can close the season. Do not be surprised!

The exact calender dates for the spawn vary according to the year. Look for late-April to mid-May for the peak spawn.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

[This message has been edited by kevin neve (edited 03-28-2002).]

Kevin do you think mandatory spring slots on DL is a good plan?

Doing a spring conservation slot similar to the Red would be very wise in my opinion.

I know of areas on DL as well as other ND lakes that get hammered in the spring, no matter what. Many guys just can't control themselves it would appear to me.

You know the areas I am talking about and I won't list them on a forum for the reasons I stated above.

What are your thoughts on spring conservation slots on vulnerable areas of rivers and lakes?

------------------
Backwater Eddy.......><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

Ed,
I know what you mean and where you mean. I think some kind of a slot would be a great idea for DL in the spring. I enjoy/appreciate the opportunity to fish there in the spring but do not keep anything larger than what I consider a "keeper" throughout the rest of the year. It is a perfect time to catch an awesome fish to photograph and release. I have heard stories of them closing the season in the spring and that would be a shame for those of us that are doing our part to maintain the excellent fishing in this lake.
Come on warm weather!
Tully

I also feel that a slot limit would be a good idea in the spring on DL. I love to catch the big pigs, but it is even better watching them swim away to be caught another day. The reason I asked the question was because I was wondering if it would be better to fish from shore right now near the bridges or continue to ice fish in the trees. Anything over 2 pounds goes back into the lake!!

Gentlemen...we are in consensus.

As much as I hate government intervention, slot limits need to be impossed to "make" fisherman be responsible. It's is yet another case where government laws are needed to legislate morality when responsibility goes out the window. Sportsmanship is a moral issue.

The standard talk line fed by the ND Game and Fish is that by impossing slot limits or any lenght requirements for any specific lake makes it difficult for the fisherman to understand the regs. That is idiotic.

Yes, the larger fish meaning 8 pounds plus are not the backbone of the reproduction factory but the 3 to 5 pounders are. Those fish need the protection. I'm in favor of a YEAR AROUND 18 to 25 inch slot on DL. Heck Sakakawea and Oahe as well.

Fishing is much more than food gathering. The oppurtunity to catch an 8 pound plus fish is what drives me to fish. Not having 100 pounds of fillets in the freezer or supplying the neighborhood with fish and being a big shot.

I do not take photos at the fish cleaning stations. I take em on the water and will lean well out of the boat to capture the photo of the moment of a catch and release.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

I was introduced to DL last spring/summer.And I fully intend to fish there for many years to come. Of all the fish I caught there last year, nothing over 2lbs ever saw the live well. I caught what may have been my first 10+ immediately after ice out. After a quick peak to the other anglers in the area, back in the lake she went. No one looked at me like I was crazy, and a few actually said thanks. That's what fishing is about. Even though I live much closer to Lake of the Woods, that day last April will keep me driving to DL until someone has to drive me. See ya all in a week or so.