• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Renssalaer County-Lake Saratoga-Greenwich Reservoir Fishing Reports

Hey All

I just moved to the area from Wisconsin and am an avid ice fisherman. Can anyone provide me insight on the ice fishing out here? Maybe some good lakes, abundance of species etc.

I am renting a cabin on Babcock lake, anyone ever fish that?

Thanks and hopefully we can get some discussion going.

Mainly a crappie/perch/walleye guy. We didn't have lakers out my way but I see they are somewhat common out here so I'll get myself educated on them.

I am really open to what there is, I am not a stranger to working hard to get on the fish...just gotta know what I'm targeting!

I live in averill park which isnt far from u there are a ton of good places to fish as for grafton lake i dont think i would waste my time but its your call .there are a lot of little lakes that hold a lot of good fish but cant be over fished we do a lot of CPR fishing (catch picture release )if your looking to keep a lot of fish try the big lakes . when we get ice if you want to meet up we can show u a couple places to hit the ice

That would be great if we could hit the ice sometime. I ice fish mainly to be outside and get some peace and quiet, maybe keep a few for a fresh fish fry for myself (5 or so panfish or a walleye). I would rather be away from the crowds and get skunked then be in them and hammer them.

It seems winter has finally come, hopefully we can have some hardwater in a few weeks.

LaXcarp,

Nice little place you got there, very familiar with Babcock Lake. I grew up on the Tomahannock just down the road on rt7. Welcome to the group. When the ice gets here i will let you know when im commin back home to get out there and give you a shout.

Kyle

That'd be great Kyle. Babcock just started icing up this weekend. If the nights stay cold there should be fishable ice pretty soon!

There are all sort of restrictions on fishing the tomahannock aren't there?

you can use live bait. There are restricitions tho, you cannont bring much out with you, no grills, no power augers, no beer cans, bottels, ulitmatly anything that would create garbage. If you pull a trap or jet sled just make sure stuff is in there and covered, as long as you dont look sloppy with [PoorWordUsage] all over the ice you will be fine. you have to go down to the court house in Troy and get a 2 year pass, think its $12 now...other than that it can be good fishing there if you know where your goin.

Kyle

well Tim after performing the VS380 bathtub test on the ol lady i've determined that the 380 works perfect and also that i should have had one of these along time ago! you gotta love LED lighting! Cant wait to get a video camera and hook it...

LaXcarp,

Check the Greenwich Reservoir this weekend they are fishing it now and hammering fish...its prolly only 30-40 minutes from you...go up 7 to hoosic falls and then head over to greenwich from there. if i were commin home i would be goin but to much to do out here this weekend...

Kyle

well Tim after performing the VS380 bathtub test on the ol lady i've determined that the 380 works perfect and also that i should have had one of these along time ago! you gotta love LED lighting! Cant wait to get a video camera and hook it...
Kyle, make sure you get some good footage for the site whistlesmile.

Got the #, i will give you a ring this weekend ill be goin out sat for sure...

Been ahwhile since ive gotten bait up that way...let me ask around i dont know of anything open anymore off the top of my head...that reminds me i need spikes! Got to find them somewhere....

This isnt far and i called their open, they have spikes @ $2 for 50 and an assortment of minnows! Its not far from you either i will be stopping there tomorrow afternoon and getting some stuff let me know if you want anythign or just head on down prolly only 20-25 min from ya...

Conroy's Bait

711 19th Street, Watervliet, NY

(518) 273-2582‎