• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cool Cats Ice Fishing Gathering

Ice Leaders 3rd Annual Cool Cats

All are invited to the 3rd anual Ice Leaders Cool Cats get together on Horseshoe Lake in Richmond MN.The date will be Saturday March 5th 2005.We will meet on the ice at 8:00 AM. (see map for location)
Sponsor Prize drawings will be held at Noon along with a fish fry/pot luck lunch.Catfish will be on the menu!
This is a fun,free get together.
Come and join us for an exciting day catching catfish through the ice and meet your FM and Ice leader freinds.

Cool_Cats_map.gif
From I 94 near St Cloud take hwy 23 west to Richmond.Then go south on hwy 22.

Here is a few pics from last years event

fish_fry.jpg

Frying up some catfish

CoolCatsgroup1.JPG

Sharing tips and hot spots.

wwgMj.jpg

Wastewaterguru and Matt Johnson icing a catifsh.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like alot of fun. I may have to mark it on my calender.

Never tried for cats through the ice before.

Where might a guy find some good info on gear and techniques?

------------------
RAGNAR!!??....BAH!!! BRING BACK HUB!!

It does sound like fun-I've never caught a cat throught the ice before and I remember reading how everybody there last year thought it was a blast. I also am curious as to if I would want any specific gear for this, as I usually target crappie/sunnies and have a few Wally rigs. I'm guessing from former posts that stink baits are not par for the course on the ice-I hope not anyway! lol!

No stink baits????? How do you catch cats with out stink bait??? I might have to try to make this. If for no other reason than to meet everyone. It sounds like a blast hope to see everyone then, I will mark it on my calender.

----------------------------
Why golf when you can fish?
arbuck

This is one fun event! If you haven't experienced the thrill of pulling up a cat through the ice than this is definitely something worth while. The Horseshoe Chain is an excellent fishery and is home to a variety of species. Catfishin' through the ice, you gotta love it!! smile.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Bring your walleye gear and ice fishing spoons. It's very likely you will be dealing with suspended cats so be sure to bring your MarCum or vex.

The guys were very happy with the 1/8th and 1/4 oz Go Devils on those cats and walleyes. When they got finicky, the Angel Eye Jr was very good. There is an awesome article on spoons here:

To Spoon or not to Spoon - CLICK HERE

You can see the Go Devils, Angel Eye Jrs and other hot ice fishing gear at:
TackleCity.com

A great event indeed! I will not miss it. Just for the record: I had a strong bite with a whistler jig(blk)with a crawler lumped on it. Sometimes it pays to be ignorant.

Another teaser for those hesitating: Fresh-from-the-water fried up catfish, Dennis Steele style. There is NO WAY it gets any better than that(except for maybe the free swag)

I'll be there. I had a pretty good time catching a couple cats and several dozen of those fightin' little rock bass.

Dennis and the FM staff did this one right last year and I am sure it will be just as good or better this year. One minute you pull a channel cat through the ice.......and 10 minutes later he's cooked and sitting on a plate.

Everyone had a piece or two and those 1 to 3 pound channels are some good eating.

Got this one on the calendar already...Looking forward to putting some more faces with names.

Should be a fun time again this year John. Those were some nice rockbass wink.gif I'm surpised you didn't pull up a nice 3-4 pound smallie, you always seem to find those, especially during the tournies this summer laugh.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Say, I was talking to a coworker that usually makes a trip up to Horseshoe every year. He was saying there can be thin ice or even areas with open water due to springs.

Are these areas clearly marked?

I see vehicles on the ice in the photos so I'm assuming you can drive from the access to the event location.

Not trying to scare anyone, just looking for a heads up. I hate driving out on unfamiliar lakes.

Boy, can ya tell some folks are itching for some hard water? wink.gif

metrojoe,

We will set up in a safe spot and any areas that are questionable will be avoided. We will have fished Horseshoe several times prior to the event and we'll make sure the area we are fishing is safe. Same with the area to and from where we are fishing.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Everyone,

I believe Matt means to say "No ice should ever be considered completely safe. However we will have traveled on the route to and at the fishing hole hopefully first showing that we did it safely"

Quote:

We will set up in a safe spot and any areas that are questionable will be avoided. Same with the area to and from where we are fishing.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I realize no ice should be considered safe. The gentleman I talked to made it sound like there are areas from year to year that are notorious for thin ice or open water. Just wondering if these areas will be obvious to someone unfamiliar with the lake.

There are a couple areas that have thin ice or are open.Your going to be OK if you use the south access (the one on the map I posted) and just stay on the main roads out to where we will be located.

The dangerous area is not marked and will be further than where the event will be.

I had heard the DNR won't even mark it because it tends to have the opposite effect.People go to check it out.Curiosity killed the cat.

One key to Horseshoe is to not go veturing to far from the "roads" on the lake. And always during the light hours determine which path you are going to leave on. The particular spot that your co worker was talking about metrojoe is refered to some as the meth hole. I have noticed that it isn't in the same exact spot all the time but it does stay in a general area. And in most cases is easy to spot unless it has just snowed. I've been fishing the chain for 7 yrs in the winter and beyond that spot I have only noticed one other area open and that was due to some clown cutting a 3ft x 7ft area to fish or spear from and didn't mark.

Dennis let me know if you need help or anything.

This realy looks like its going to have a great turn out form the interest all ready.I am pumped.

I knew you'd be there Chemist. cool.gif

It will be good to be on the ice again with you to Borch.

I'll be sure to let you guys know if we need anything.

This is going to be a lot of fun.

Dennis: Looking forward to the cool cats it was a blast last year and I'm sure it will be this year. If you need some help with this let me know. If nothing else I will have pre-fished the area and should be aware of the ice conditions.