• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I buy an otter ice shelter

Mr. Sheephead

I have an Otter Small Den and I really like it.

I haven't looked at them recently but I have seen some new Clams and Frabils with some really nice, comfortable, plush seats. If I were getting a new shelter, I would definitely be looking for something with a really cushy seat. I spend a fair amount of time in my portables and I know I would definitely like a more comfortable seat.

I think now they all have quality materials, sleds, etc. so I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I've fished out of an Otter for a few years now(Lodge) and to say they are built wellis an understatement.

A true test is to be out in 30 mile an hour winds.

I just can't say enough about them.

There service is good too if needed.

They have comfy seats,great rod holder design,hyfax and tow bar.

I pull my Lodge by myself all of the time loaded with all of my gear.It can be a grind in deeper snows,but then it's a Lodge.

Going with a smaller Otter should not be an issue pulling.

A longer rope helps.

I picked up an Otter Wild-2 model a couple years ago because of the reasonable price. The sled part is real heavy duty and easy to pull. The bench seat is pretty heavy and not that comfortable. I like the lightweight square aluminum framework-except the support pole connections are made to fit round tubing-difficult to put on/take off. The canvas is a little thinner than the regular Otter models as well. I would recommend this for occasional outings, but if you go out a lot, I would stick with the standard models, little more money-but will hold up longer.

Yes fay all means you should look at Otter's. I personally don't think there is another house out there that in the same class. Now you do have some options with in otter though. Read through my post from this past week here: Team Wild I am very impressed with the Team Wild house. Just got one this weekend I am very impressed with it. I have been running otter pro series houses for the past 8 winters. I really don't know that you sacrifies anything going with a Wild. They are a much nicer price on the pocket book. A good one to look at.

I,like you are in the market for a new portable. Some Observations:

1). Otter is the overwhelming favorite.

2). Hyfax is a no brainer.

3). Insulated or not. I have owned 5 portables none have been insulated. Does it save on propane consumption? Does it prohibit

condensation? I would guess added weight would help on windy days. Or do I go non and use refletix?

4). Bench or seats? I had a bench in a Fish Trap I am opting for seats as there are lots of neat mods some of these guys have done to make everything easier on ice.I will also modify mine.

5). Whatever you pick you will have a blast nowadays you can move in a moments notice and have a whole new scenario beneath your feet.

I have a fully modded otter den and it is awesome. In a pinch I have actually fished 2 guys in it and it wasn't bad. We each had a jigging hole and then we had one deadstick inside and a tip up outside. Worked great. Could be an idea for you and your daughter. The mod made fishing two people far more feasible. Go Otter and don't look back.

thanks guys,

I am definately going with the otter. I talked to a guy at reeds sporting goods. Since, not many people sell the otter's in Michigan I am going to have to order through mail. 120 dollars shipping. He said you should buy the sled separate on your own. I believe gander mountain carries the otter sleds. The sled was the bulk of the weight for shipping. Then I would have to pay for the tent and seat through mail which is a lot cheaper shipping.

I have owened a clam scout and never had a problem with condensation. I would hope condensation is not a problem in the otters. Meaing dripping from the top.

thanks again,

can't wait for ice!!

Sheephead

Don't know where you are in Michigan, but Jays in Clare carries the Otter in stock. They have a good selection on hand. I was just there and picked up the new style seats for the Mag Lodge.

Good people to deal with and you will not have any shipping charges.

Harry