• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tough bite on Zumbro.

The third Southern Mn LETS Event on lake Zumbro was held sat. With the cold weather came a tough bite on Lake Zumbro. Proof was in the weigh ins. Morning weigh in only had a possible three fish and the bite didn't improve much in the afternoon. After having some success with docks in prefishing I thought that pattern would hold up and prove to be the right presentation. Drop a wacky right in front of their nose and let'em pick it up. Wrong! I caught one fish wacky worming the docks. My partner picked up a pike on a spinner and we each caught a bass cranking and that was the extent of our success! Here are the rest of the results on Zumbro.
Team Lucky - 7.0, and big fish (pike) at 3.4
Troutman - 2.4
Crank Yankers - .8
Team Rip - .7
Camo-Marc - .2
Red-Ball - 0
One more thing to note we had a lot of short strikes on cranks and bass dropping a worm before you could set a hook ( that may be reflexes on my part grin.gif). Also bit off numerous times. Other teams were experiancing the same so the bite was very light. Had some of them hooked their fish this could have been an entirely different out come. Well on to Tetonka and some better fishing!

Oh one last thing I would be remiss if I didn't give honorable mention to Dave Hoggard for his catch of a 15lb snapping turtle! grin.gif The biggest catch of the day! BTW Dave what did that big amphibian come on!

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

[This message has been edited by LuckyFish (edited 08-22-2004).]

My son and I had a good time! We most likly could have cought some sunies to weigh-in but at lunch seeing that two pike were cought, Well 3lb of sunnies was a big reach! The White Bass were shure willing to bite. No points there!

Well Cedar and Zumbro Lakes, sunnie skys no wind and no points for team Red-Ball. Have I ever said I don't like blue skys?

I can only hope for better weather ( Cloud, wind and rain on the horizon ) for Tatonka!

Good Job, Team Lucky. 2 for 3.
Troutman, Two 2nd in a row.
and Troutman's Lake to come.

47b4d603b3127cceb4bd921c16d40000001610
Nice bass UG!

47b4d603b3127cceb4bd9c4e97b10000001610
Nice crappie for Rip and his daughter!

47b4d603b3127cceb4bd9ffa56ac0000001610
Hey Troutman what's in the cooler! smile.gif

47b4d603b3127cceb4bd921797ef0000001610
Couple of happy guys.

47b4d603b3127cceb4bd9dc356940000001610
There's that pike, the big fish that netted Uncle Grump some great Catch'n tackle! Thanks Dave!

47b4d603b3127cceb4bd9dfd56aa0000001610
Another bass pic. I don't know but I think I did catch one of these. He He

47b4d603b3127cceb4bd9c0716c80000001610
Weighing in after a tough day!

------------------

[This message has been edited by LuckyFish (edited 08-22-2004).]

All in all dispite the cold front conditions, heavy fog, and slooow bite. Lake Zumbro is a very beautiful lake, and I will be back to check out some catfishing, and maybe look into some pike fishing under a more relaxed atmosphere. Hey you never know I might get an invite to catch some of those elusive crappies I've heard so much about! Anyone by the name of Tom interested? grin.gif BTW thanks Crappie Tom for the info you posted!

------------------

When John Eggers and I started out, there was an erie fog on the lake... a fog so thick that one was afraid to motor very fast!
My GPS was on the fritz... and my fish finder was not working either...bad omens?

As the "spooky" fog cleard... we saw another erie sight!
47b4d603b3127cceb4bd980116cc0000001610
Vultures!
47b4d603b3127cceb4bd980c97f10000001610
These buzzards looked to be waiting for us to go over the dam.
47b4d603b3127cceb4bd99eed78b0000001610

As Lucky said, the bite was slow... real slow. John and I managed a couple of Bass and I snagged a Turtle, which turned out to be quite a battle.
47b4d603b3127cceb4bd9f59d73f0000001610
There had been a mayfly hatch and I am sure a creyfish feed-a-thon had been happening days before we arrived.
I have had worse fishing though.
Being with the SM LETS guys made the trip worth going... good to mix it up with the teams!
47b4d603b3127cceb4bd9e7d97830000001610
47b4d603b3127cceb4bd9c0716c80000001610
Lots of good times!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch-N Tackle Co
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 08-22-2004).]

well ive never seen such good looking water produce almost nothing. I know i threw almost everything i had at them and nothing worth the effort to show for it. my partner pulled me threw with the pike.

i dont know about tetonka being my lake but i have fished it since i was 12 and its only 12 min away from home.

but who knows if you put the right cast in the right spot. its anyones event. i know this lake should produce some bigger weights. if youve fished the lake you know theres a good population of all the game fish were after.

i encorage anyone who is on the fence about the SM LETS to try this next event out. the fellowship is great and only going to get better. for me its not winning the event. (thou it would be nice) its the day of fishing and seeing how others are fishing and how it produces.

like i said if your undecided about the SM LETS give this next event a try you wont be dissapointed this next lake has alote of nice fish in it and sometimes they really like to bite.

thanks to lucky, dave, john, and all the others that made SM LETS possible
GREAT JOB GUYS

------------------
Troutman72

CPR <(((<

Well I'd agree with the title of this thread "Tough bite on Zumbro" Brian and I lost a few pike (like everyone else) to bite offs and felt the pressure to not get shut out so we decided at around 3:00 to nab a few of the sunfish we were seeing... It didn't give me a warm fuzzy at the weigh in to drop two sunfish on the scale, however I'm certain that next time will produce more action and fish. I think that turtle should stop eating all the fish in the lake! Thanks again guys, it was a positive experience.

Mike (Buzzsaw)

Lucky and Uncle Grump... I think you guys also won this:

Rich Smith from the Bio-Bait Co. has donated a pro-pack assortment of retail size bags of all Bio-Bait flavors for the winner of the third tournament winner of the S.M. L.E.T.S. that is August 21 / Zumbro Lake (Near Rochester) - Olmstead County.
This pack will include a bag of the NEW Pro Strength CRAWLER!

I would like to say thanks to John Eggers who provided the weigh scale for SM LETS. John makes the Eggers Spinners so talked about in forums here on FM... and the hottest tackle items sold in many area retail shops!
Nice to have you with us John.
See John Eggers Spinners at www.catch-n.com
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch-N Tackle Co
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

Tough bite is an understatement. I am still trying to figure out how I bit off ABOVE my leader!!!! What's up with that.

Like Buzzsaw said, we decided at 3:00 we weren't coming in empty handed therefore the sunnies. Oh well. Better fishing next time.

It was a good time and great to meet some more fellow FMers and have a name to go with the face.

Congrats to Team Lucky for being just that....just kidding guys. You found a way to put a few in the boat and that's what it is all about. Congrats.

That for the opportunity.

Well thanks for all the "warm fuzzies". I owe this one to my partner he really came through with the pike and big bass. Also want to thank our Sponsors because without them we wouldn't have a league.
Sponsors are: Dave Hoggard Catch'n Tackle, Richard Smith Bio-Bait, John Eggers Bow Spinners,Matt Johnson Outdoors, Dennis Steele Mn River Guide Service, Jon Navratil Navigator Guide Service, and Pleschourt's Lawn and Handyman Services ($50.00 donation)
Thanks to all sponsors. BTW I can't wait to get some more bio-bait I'm already out of the last batch. I love tipping jigs and cranks with this stuff, gives them that added scent that I believe gives me the edge. wink.gif

------------------