• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

otter seating

chiroeye

Question

Just recently purchased a magnum lodge and dont have the funds as of now to purchase the bench seat otter offers. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on seating? The sides of the sled are rather tall and it looks like it could be a trick finding something somewhat comfortable to sit on. Keep them rods a bendin!

16 answers to this question

Chiroeye

DO a search on this forum, look for a article called "butt bridge" by T-Bone. There are some pics avail too. Also send Rick (FM moderator) a email. He had some of T-Bones plans for the butt bridge at the ice show in St. Paul - I got a set - all of $3.

UG

Not sure if you have the equipment but here's what I did for my Otter Resort.

I took (2) pieces of steel tubing 1-1/4"dia X 1/16"th wall. For length, make them long enough to fit width wise inside the sled. Space them apart 7" on center. Take 2x2 by 12"long angle iron and weld to the ends of the tubing on both ends. The one leg of the angle rests on the top side of the sled and the other goes down on the inside of the sled. Next I used some old boat seats and fastened a 12"square x 1/2"thk plywood to the bottom of the seat. Then fasten two wooden 2x2 by 12"long pieces to the plywood spaced out measuring 10-1/2" center to center. I made two assemblies and fastened them apart about 36" with a 1x6 board to function as a small table. The seats fold down, slide back/fourth and come off easily.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I also run an otter mag lodge for my main house. For seating I cut two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood about 14-16 inches wide and egual in length to the width of the otter sled. The topside of the plywood is then carpeted and the underside you place a block of wood on each end to creat a lip so the plywood locks in place and cannot slip in a perpendicular motion to the sledWhen used in the seating position). Very comfortable. Best advantage is that the "seats" store on the bottom of your sled during travel and take up zero space, unlike commercial seating. The carpeting on the seat acts as cushion for gear during travel and also as storage shelf when in the seating position. Hard to describe with words, can forward digital pictures if interested. GF

Those cheap folding chairs that fold up into a cylinder shape is the way to go. They fit perfect and don't take up too much space. I got bucket back already this year, its time to get the chairs out. Those chairs for the manufacturer are expensive and take up way too much valuable space.

Guys,I bought a folding stadiam seat at Dick's Sporting and cut a piece of ply wood to fit on the inside lip of top of the lid.Made a template out of paper for the holes for the seat.Mark them so it is center of the plywood ,predrill the holes in the plywood.use a smaller drill bit then the screws.this makes it a little easier to attach plywood to the seat. After you screw the plywood to the seat,Then take 4 screws and screw the lid from the inside to the plywood so it will fit on the bucket. hope this is not to hard to figure out.

I use one of those BIG rubermaid tubs, the heavy duty black ones with a grey top. It is big enough to store everything in including a 20lb propane tank, a buddy heater locks in place like it was meant to be. Everything goes in there including the vexilar... I put in a couple of square boat cushions and everything is nice and tight in there. Plenty of bench for two guys to sit on... no back rest... a couple of folding stadium type seats and you would be all set though. Works great for me...and keeps all your gear in one piece.