• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro LETS - Madison Lake Results

Great job Mike/Brett with a huge bag of 36.8 lbs! Congrats also to Matt / Brian for a very close 2nd with 33.3 lbs. A lot of teams brought in very nice fish, which was a surprise to most of us who struggled prefishing... Andy of team AA weighed in a 6.0 lb. bass. Mike/Brett a 9.9 lb. Pike. Matt/Brian with a 6.9 lb. walleye. There were at least 10 walleyes over 20" weighed-in with a number pushing over the 24" mark.

And yes, Madison Lake broke the record for Metro LETS all time weight at an event! Who would have thought that mud hole could put out those fish grin.gif I think we have some very knowledgeable people fishing the league this year and I wouldn't be surprised if we break this weight again before the year is over...

162.4 lbs. of fish were weighed in, breaking the Rush Lake record of 150.8 lbs. set 2 weeks ago. Average weight per team is still the best at Rush with only 11 teams and a 13.7 lb. / team average. Madison put out 13.5 lbs. / team average with 12 teams fishing.

Results for Madison. Overall will be posted tomorrow.
Madison_Reduced.jpg

Final Standings
FINAL%20STANDINGS_Reduced.jpg

1st Place winners, Mike & Brett received a very nice Ring'N Tube tackle kit along with tube jigheads specifically designed for these tubes by Catch-N Tackle.
http://www.catch-n.com

4th Place winners (again.... 2nd week in a row) - Team Jighead received some great tackle packs from T.J.'s Tackle. Consisting of a variety of Case plastic baits including King Grubs, Sinkin' Salty Minnows, Magic Stiks, and the new Jack's Worm.

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 06-29-2004).]

Madison was a lot of fun. The bass that Andy caught was a beauty! A true pig! I couldn't believe the size of the walleyes brought in, and to think they all came of a 100 yard stretch of weedbed. Here are a few pics...

Me and Brian with a couple walleyes...
mattbrianwalleyes-450x346.jpg

Brian with a nice walleye...
brianmlwalleye-271x330.jpg

A couple more walleyes...
MJmlwalleye6-269x456.jpg

MJmlwalleye3-270x367.jpg

See everyone on Clearwater! smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 06-27-2004).]

Congrats everyone for some nice weights and some big old walleye, pike, and one hog bass. It was just one of those days for us that nothing went right from morning till night. Didn't get any sleep, were late because we got lost coming from 169, fished for bass and caught 3 measly 12"ers that were weighed in(not to mention the penalty we got for having the 11"er, didnt have the tape, o well), figured out our trolling motor is broke, got stuck on rocks and banged up the transducer, then lost the cellphone overboard waiting to put the boat back on. Nothing went right,and our weights reflect it. Didn't get off bass which was a mistake, as the walleye weights were what did it. Ended up getting almost all of our bass shallow with buzzbaits.
Lets just say bring on Clearwater, and thank god the worst event gets taken out. Later

Here is the post from BDR, just wanted to keep the results going in the same general format with this thread... I have some mroe pics as well as those from Andy that I'll add tomorrow...

After prefishing all day friday, I was not too excited about fishing this lake. It proved to have some nice surprises for some. Overall fishing was pretty tough. There were some other nice fish caught but these are all I manages to get pictures of. Maybe someone else can post the ones they took.

47b4d806b3127cceb15b849637220000001510

47b4d806b3127cceb15b8495b6110000001510

47b4d806b3127cceb15b849037240000001510

47b4d806b3127cceb15b84aa371e0000001510

47b4d806b3127cceb15b84a037140000001510

Congrats Mike and Brett. It comes as no surprise that Madison broke the all time Metro LETS record. That is no surprise to those of us that live in this area. Nice weights guys. These "mud hole" lakes can and do produce some nice fish! grin.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

Well it was a pretty tough day for us. No problem finding bass (small ones anyway). Just couldn't find the pike or walleye.

I don't know the story behind all the big walleye except that they were caught in shallow weeds with "spinnerbaits". We were throwing spinnerbaits for more than an hour in that same weedy area and got only one bass to show for it. We saw Matt and BDR a couple hundred yards from us.....Go figure. That's incredible to be catching those pigs the way they did.

I have one silly question to ask of Walleye Wackers.........Not to stir the pot or anything, but I just feel I have to ask because I never heard the story behind the nice eyes that you caught. Did you catch your big walleyes before or after you went to verify Matt and BDR's fish???

Anyway, congratulations to everyone for some great fish at the weigh-in.

Wastewater- The walleye's were stumbled on while casting the weed edge of one of the only real weedy areas of the lake. It was the most likely place for good pike and possibly bass on the lake. I think Walleyewackers came across the same thing we did when they went to their Pike spot. They did not come to us to verify we went to them. They fished a couple hundred yards from us(only the last hour of the day) and it was so much of a time gap that until they caught thier first one they had no idea thats where we got into walleyes. Not a very likely location.

Dan, Sorry I didn't let you answer this first but I had no problem with the way things worked out.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 06-28-2004).]

Yep, we went to Dan to have him verify our fish, they had no idea where we were fishing. As far as I know Dan and his dad caught all of their walleyes in the last hour or so of the tourny when they found them on the same weedbed we were fishing. Same place where Mike and Brett were fishing too. Nothing too secretive about the spot, a very good pike spot, but it turned out to be the walleye kicker in the end.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Our list of Walleyes(not what was wieghed) was: 17", 21.5", 2-22.5", 23.5", 24", 2-25", 26", 26.5", 27". According to W/C's wieght caculator thats 56.14#s of Walleye

We wieghed the 5 under 24 and the 26.5 was verified before we caught the 27.

It was just one of those things that never happen but did.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 06-28-2004).]

Those that know me know that I had a smile on my face when I asked the question........but I had to ask. Either way, it wasn't going to effect how I finished. Just seemed weird that a spot that you guys described as no more than a hundred yards across was found by three teams on a weed flat that probably covered several hundred acres. grin.gif

I admit I'm just jealous that we didn't get into some of those pigs. I bet that was a pretty good time.

Matt, I can kinda see that bait in one of those pictures.....was that a ring-n-grub on a spinnerbait....or a beetle spin.....or what??

I caught one of the walleyes on a Ring-N-Tube, and the rest came off a spinnerbait tipped with a Ring-N-Grub trailer.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

We didn't get all of our fish in one small area.. We had at least one eye and another follow on the other end, and got one out in the main lake in the a.m. near the launch site. When Matt says all within 100 yards, I think he is talking that is where they caught all of their fish. We weren't all within 100 yards of each other. I just figured Brian and Matt caught their eyes out in the main lake somewhere... I assumed Matt/Brian were fishing Bass/Pike by the afternoon to get their combo points (which I'm sure they were, that was a great area for all species), it didn't even cross my mind that is where they picked up the eyes until we got a couple... We didn't fish that area together, it is a small lake and it wasn't too often bass fishing in the a.m. that we didn't run into antother boat or three either... Afterall, you guys were fishing our bass spot wink.gif I think the eyes were scattered in that entire area.. It took us awhile to find the right combination. We tossed spinnerbaits for 2.5 hrs. determined to get a big pike and our bonus point with only bass to show for our efforts until we came across the right combination... I'm still surprised we didn't pick up more pike with all the baitfish in that area. We were tossing BIG baits for pike - the biggest walleye hit what I consider a big pike spinnerbait. We were fishing big pike for some catch-up weight and going for our combo points.. Those "minnie" bass just weren't doing it for us...

I'm getting used to your c*r*ap by now WW grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 06-29-2004).]

I have never been much of a walleye fisherman. My father in law drug me out for some eyes when I moved up here about 6 years ago.....and trolling deep water for 8 hours and only catching a couple fish kinda of turned me off of them in a hurry. I have always been a bass freak. But the thought of catching those pigs in the weeds could probably convert me in a hurry.

The baby bass weren't doing it for me either. That makes the 6 pounder caught that much more impressive. I never did ask where that one was caught. That has to be a rare catch on that lake.....

Congratulations to the top three!
Sounds like you guys found the fish.Those are some of the best weights I have seen in the Metro events!
I have seen this type of weed walleye before on Waconia.I used to pitch beetle spins to inside edges or points on sheer "weed walls" in 11 to 15 feet of water and when they were there they were usually pretty nice.Its nice to see something like that technique work other places.

sami-
Just out of curiousity, what sort of technique did that big bass come on? Feel free to be as general as you would like, more just wondering if you got him on something fast or slow.. I'm assuming slow, jig or plastics...

Yep. It was a pretty fun lake. We were as surprised as everyone to do that well on Madison. It was good to see a lake produce that many fish.
We used up a bunch of the tubes that we won in the tackle pack last night on Clearwater. The bass seem to enjoy them.
Have safe weekend on the water. There will be a lot of randoms out there this weekend so keep a set of eyes in every direction.
DuckBill(Mike)

hey dan... i was throwing my new favorite lure: a YUM Dinger ... just throwing to shallow weeds, let it fall to the bottom, wait a few seconds, pull it up off the bottom, repeat...

i just got back from up north (Park Rapids) and was throwing YUM dingers again and caught 50 smallies in 2 1/2 days...