• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum LX-3 Test Report

CNY Tim

Question

I caught 7 keeper crappies 10 - 13.5" and kept a dozen nice gills and 3 big perch. Caught alot of small perch today. 5" any where we walked on the lake with 4" of snow on top. We fished 8' to 16' best depth was 15'. Crappie were riding at about 10' along with the nicer gills. You had to keep it off the bottom on that lake or you'll get nailed with dink perch. Not a great trip as far as bluegill action but it was great to use my MarCum and we can fish close with Vexilars and no problems 1 I.R. off, 1 on I.R and one on I.R. plus one no problems. I had the zoom on 10' when I was fishin 15' and it was awesome. Funny seeing your jig and fish on both sides of the screen. Gotta train my eyes a little more to stay on the left side. What the zoom feature allowed me to do was keep the bait away from the smaller fish and the decent gills and crappies when they popped on the zoom I thought they were bass or pike, awesome machine. I am glad it's compatable with Vexilars that was a big issue.

• Answers 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

D.C I am not trying to defend the marcum,or put down the fl-18,you right i dont have any time on ice with either but have seen them both in action,and from what ive seen and heard my choice if i were to spend the money would be on the marcum.

i just see a bunch of people on here that have had vexlars and are not open minded enough to listen about another unit that may be better then what the persone owns,not saying that it is or isnt what you have is always going to be better in your own mind but it my not be better after all.this is good thread its nice to read all this stuff
and it does help other people who read this to make there minds up on what they want to spend there money on.

get off my back D.C lol

p.S,got any reports on canadarago e-mail me...

Ice Walker - The only report I have from Lake C is crotch deep snow, atleast. LOL.
Im open minded with the Marcum. I told Timmy that when we meet up on the ice and swap finders for a while, if the Marcum is "nicer" not "better" I'll give and honest report in here. We are just splitting hairs though.... I have too many on ice hours to think brand x finder will catch more fish than brand y....
Timmy - Only 8 inches of snow would be nice. We got about 20 inches from that last storm down here.....

[This message has been edited by Dark Cloud (edited 01-05-2003).]

Well Tim , A hornets nest is what you were fishin for the way I see it. You keep pokin it and your bound to get a reaction ! LOL

Seriously - I REALLY don't care what unit a guy uses. This is just another Ford/Chevy , Jiffy/Lazer , green sucker/red sucker deal. If the Marcum turns out to be the better unit GREAT ! More power to you and those that have em !
If not , well I bet guys will still be happy catching fish with em.

I stuck with Vex because it's got a proven track record and has never failed me plain and simple.
Was'nt just too long ago there was the Zercom that was suposed to be the end all in flashers. Now where are they ?
IF I would have taken all the hype over them to heart at the time I probably would have bought one but I stuck with the Vex cause I knew what I had with it. GLAD I passed on the Zercs.
What happened to your Zercoms anyway ? If I remember right you really thought they were the bomb too eh ?

Ice Walker , I got half a basement full of things I was open minded about ! LOL
Like anything , some things pan out and some don't.
If this thread was about a newer Vex modle than the 18 I'd probably take the same stance. I have an 18 now and am satisfied enough with it that Vex , Marcum , whoever would have to come out with somthing pretty revolutionary for me to consider upgrading again anytime soon.
I am curious about the Marcums but if they turn out to be another Zercom then wait a few years and the bargain cave at Cabela's will have em cheap !

CyberFish - We are located out in Central NY. Christmas day we got about 14 inches here but just to our east they had around 30-35 inches then this past friday we got hit with another 20 inches here. The snowmobilers love it but it sucks for travel on the ice. And most lakes only have around 6-8 inches of ice so they are a sloppy mess. Last year I fished LOW and Red lake with Geeman, WallEYES, T-Bone, Gissert, DuffMan, and a few others. That 30 plus inches of ice was a hoot. We rarely get more than 12-15 inches out here. We have been on the ice and doing well sence december 5th though....

"Hands down the best". U-RAH-RAH LX3!!! This coming from a guy who has yet to fish with a FL-18. I'm not trying to make this personal, but this thread is starting to get ridiculous. Some people here sound like evangelists trying to gather converts!!!

I can give you a very long list of reasons why you should buy a vexilar FL-18 instead of a Marcum. This is not opinion, these are facts:

Transducer choices: 3 cone angles (9, 12, 19)all available in iceducer, puck, and high speed. Dual beam 9/19 iceducer also available. If you fish year round and want to use your flasher on your boat, the Vex is the only choice. If you fish deep water (>40 ft) a 19 or 20 degree transducer had very limited usefulness. The LX3 has 1 ducer option, a 20 degree.

Deep water options: The FL-18 standard goes to 200 ft, the deep model to 300 ft. With either the 12 or 9 degree ducer, the Vex is much more suited for deep water. The LX3 goes to 160 ft. (If you fish the great lakes as I do, this is important.)

Shallow water options: The FL-18 has a low power (shallow mode) built in that reduces output by 50%. This is very useful in shallow water when your lure is showing as too large of a target. Switching to low power mode allows gain to be turned up and lure to be shown as green line, not a red line. Also useful in weeds to help clear up clutter. LX3 has no LP mode.

Customer service: Vexilar - 10+ years of proven customer service. Phone answered by real person during working hours. Knowledegable technicians answer questions live on the phone. Emails answered very quickly. Marcum is new company with no track record as of yet.

Options: Vexilar offers two cases with soft packs. Foam float or hanging arm with Pro-Pack case. Mag shield, flexible light, transducer arms for mounting puck trandscuders available from Vexilar. Gimbal mount for in a boat. LX3 offers 1 soft pack.

Charging system: Vexilar comes with standard trickle charger that has a light that comes on when battery is charged. LX3 comes with digital charger that monitors battery and charges when needed, cannot overcharge battery. (NOTE: LX3 is better here, I admit it.)

Now, here come the opinions:

Power: LX3 is 1500 watts, FL-18 is 400. SO WHAT!!!! I'm tired of hearing this as a reason to buy the LX3. The vexilar uses a more sensitive receiver and less power. The LX3 uses a more powerful transmitter and a less sensitive receiver. As the low power mode of the Vex shows, more power is not always a good thing.

Target separation: Vexilar specs are 2.65" separation, 0.5 inches target ID. LX3 specs are 2.15" separation, 1" in zoom mode. I'm not sure exactly what that all means, but I can often see a split shot an inch or so above my jig in zoom mode on my FL-18. Who the hell cares if you can doe better than that. The whole point of either flasher is to know whether or not a fish is under your hole. Knowing whether that fish is 0.5 or 0.6 or 0.7 etc. inches away is meaningless.

Adjustable zoom: Why anyone wants to zoom in on anything other than the bottom is beyond me. I have used an FL-8 for 5 years and an FL-18 for this year and have never wanted a zoom anywhere but on the bottom. I have never come across a situation where I would use a zoom in the middle of the water column. Even when fishing suspended crappies the Vex marks them fine. I can see my lure and move it to the level of the fish. The purpose of the zoom was to get a better view of the bottom of the water column. If anyone has found a reason to move the zoom up, and found it to be useful, please post your experience.

The same people hyping the LX3 are the ones who bought into the Zercom craze. Look what happened to that unit. The LX3 may be God's gift to icefishing, but lets at least let it get through an entire year before we proclaim it "Hands down the best."

My FL-18 helped me catch walleyes, perch, and catfish this weekend. I was fishing a break near a river channel. I fished in 6 feet of water to 22 feet of water along the break. I used the low power mode, the low power zoom mode, and the normal zoom mode. All worked flawlessly. The catfish came out of the river channel in 22 ft of water with significant current. I was still able to see my Buchshot Rattlespoon and mark the cats. The perch and eyes came from 6-15 feet up on break and the flat next to it. The flexibility of the FL-18 was great for this spot.

ScottO

[This message has been edited by ScottO (edited 01-05-2003).]

Dark Cloud, wow, that is a whiiiiiiite xmas indeed grin.gif Gotta be a bummer for icefishin' though, I hope ya got a good sled. We used to call our state minneSNOWta, well this year you are gettin' it all!

ScottO, ya forgot one other good thing about the FL18...Bottom lock! Can't wait to try it!...Come onnn SPRING!

Set the hook!

><}}}("< ---><!>

Heh, Heh, Well, lets just say each to his/her own.
Its still nice to have someone give the low down on the units for folks that are out shopping.
I had 3 different sales people talk me into a vex. so I bought one.
But I still just didn't feel right about it,
so after using it once and racking my brain some more,
I decided to bring it back and go with my first instinct and get the LX-3.
I can tell you this, that Tim and the rest are right about that target seperation,
its alot better on the LX-3.
Some say this isn't that important to them, but for me, I think it is, But thats just me.
I think they both have there pluses and minuses just like everything else.
I have my eyes set on the Vex. edge though for my boat.
Talked to a guy that was out with Tony Dean when using a demo model, or prototype, whatever you call it,
and he said they are awesome.
Of course I already got a guy telling me Lowrance makes a better one.
So, we'll just have to wait and see what the majority says, thats whats so great about this forum, i guess.

scotto...You talk about other people try to be evangelists???? Did you just read your last post? I think you are trying gather concerts who think vex is better..

I do agree this is kinda the chevy vs ford thing but don't drag down a new technology which so far is looking better then the vex for ICEFISHERMEN...not open water fishing.

So hear is my little soap box...and like your I too have a bias..(TIM you posts are much better then mine....but I try)

Transducer: The LX-3 should work for most ice fishing situations. So having 1 ducer option is no big deal. They do however had an open water option which was listed in there literature.

Deep water options: 200 feet or 160? Who cares cuz the 160 will work for most lakes that a guy icefishes on. If a guy fishes the great lakes they you would benefit more for a liquid screen graph or one which prints out your last location.

Shallow water options: Lx-3...just turn down the gain.

Customer service:unknown for Marcum...but if they handle customer service issues as well at they designed their LX-3 there should be no problem.. Plus they carry a 2 year warrenty.

Mounting options: There is not need to improve on perfection. LX-3 is for icefishermen. It protects the flasher, easy to carry, extra pockets for gloves, eurolarve, etc, and it is made from heavy duty plastic.

Charging system: LX3 is like the usb port for computer...just plug and play or in this case charge.

Power: 1500 watts to better pick up featurers.

Target separation: lx3 is more accurate. Why do you say who cares on an issues that lx3 does better? Why not just say lx3 gives a tighter seperation so you can see the fish, weeds, and baitfish better?

And the adjustable zoom window is important so you can adjust your window if the fish are higher then you lower zoom window...like fishing walleyes when there is crappies suspended.

Any you forgot the most important issues...

Read out: The LX3 is easier and clearer to read. The closer seperation, the crisper colors,....what more do you need?

Plus the LX3 runs very quite. I could hardly tell I had in on compared to the humming a vex puts out.

And you know what is the marcum company does go belly up in 5-10 years who cares....because they are forcing Vexilar to get better. And you vexilar people otta love that! Just look at the number of portable ice houses now on the market! Fish trap used to rule now you see frabil, otter, eskimo, and the traps now offer better features!
Well that was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy longer then I wanted to type but take it for what is was worth....

My last post on this thread -

To clarify 3 points:

Deep water >40 ft - good luck with the LX3. My brothers Clear Water Classic was useless while lake trout fishing in deep water, as was my FL8 with a 19 degree ducer. Not having a narrow cone is a major drawback.

Shallow water - If you can turn down the gain on the LX3 and make a large jigging rap become a narrow green band, then the gain on the LX3 works a lot different than the Vex. Can you do this??

Target separation- you are splitting hairs here. As someone else said this is comparing a 99.99 to a 99.98. The separation in both units is much better than anyone needs.

Vexilar doesn't need any converts - they are the industry standard. If they are not, why did the Zercom units and now the Marcum unit try so hard to be a Vex?? (three color flasher with IR)

This is really turning into Ford/Chevy so I am outta here.

ScottO

[This message has been edited by ScottO (edited 01-06-2003).]

DARK CLOUD/GEEMAN
Been following this thread for a while...well...there is no such thing as hands down. I have my hondex/sitex/vex fl8 and would'nt trade it for nothing. Experience on the water and getting to know your electronics is the key. I can fish with my unit, right next to another guy and get all kinds of clutter, which is distracting, but can still know what my unit is doing. The zoom thing might be nice, but I have been around my old unit for years and can see fish on the bottom, thats where experience and time on the water help a lot. I think each to his/her own and if you want to shell out the dollars be my guest. I'm with yous guys on the experience and time factor on the water, I am.

dark cloud, you are right, this is actually my first year ice fishing, I gotta say i love it,
i cant believe i didn't start this years ago.
First few times out were a drag, but than I caught a few which made things a little more exciting.
Anyway, its great to learn all this info. on this forum.
My buddy thinks alot of the technicle stuff is bogus, he says hes old fashioned and you have to be very patient.
Sure, you have to be a little patient, but in his case I call it LAZY., the guy never wants to move. If i listened to him we would sit in one spot for 6 hours without a bite and he would still be telling me to be patient. He just wont listen, its the ego thing, hes been ice fishing alot longer than me , dump.
Well, I put it to the test last night and went out by myself, tryed some things I've learned here from others , and WALLA!
I caught a limit of wallys, plus lost about 5 as well, still a little anxious on the hook set with the eyes.
I was fishing in about 8 1/2 ft. pretty clear water, so I kept my lantern real low, most of the time, and stayed queit, and I believe this payed off.
Got off the subject abit. really just wanted
to say that it was pretty stinken neat to see fish on the "FLASHER" going after my jig.

Question: when you see that mark coming up to your jig, looking like a possible fish
going after it, and that mark just goes right on through it until it dissapears, Am i to assume this was a fish and it just wasn't interested?

These "FLASHERS" are AWESOME, really keeps you on your toes when you need to be.

I went with the fl-18 after emailing marcum twice without a responce on my questions.They finaly answered today 5 days after my last email.I think they will both be good units.Cant wait to for my vex to come.

Dano2 - Those marks were what we call "sniffers". I usually only let two or three sniffers go by before im trying a differnt presentation, ie - change lure size, color, and action. Downsizing your lure/bait is probably the number one thing that will get sniffers to go. Sometimes a good day can be made by making a few of those sniffers become biters. The past few years Iv'e done a bunch of sight fishing(looking down the hole in shallower clearer water) and observing how fish react to how the bait is worked. And also seeing how they look on the vex compaired to how/what they are actually doing. Alot can be learned and converted into usefull "stuff".
Your not going to become a better fisherman by following your lazy buddys lead of "we always fish here and almost always catch almost nothing". Try new things and always observe the people who are catching ~~ there is a reason 10% of the people catch 90% of the fish, its not luck!!! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dark Cloud (edited 01-06-2003).]

Dano2- If I were fishing 8 1/2 feet of water and the little line keeps rising up, up, up on the graph I'd be wondering when that muskrat was gonna come up through one of those holes!! wink.gif Just keep that ice scooper handy right?-TROY

heh, may have to start bringing the 12 gauge with, eh?
seriously though, there was one HUGE water beetle sitting at the top of my other hole til I got it and smashed it.
looked pretty evile

Very good points ScottO. I'm sure they are both good units, but I'll stick with my FL-18 for the same reasons ScottO pointed out. It's a great unit & I haven't had any problems with Vexilar. If CNYTim isn't a salesman for Marcum, he should be. He seems to spend a lot of time pushing the LX-3 for some reason.

I am no expert on equipment and frankly neither are you. We need a consumer reports for fishermen! Scotto....you obviously love the vexilar camp and are willing to stick with them no matter what advancements come out in the future so good for you smile.gif Vexilar earned loyal customers because they have been around so long.

Marcum is breaking ground here. I am sure the first fl8 came out they hardly had any accessories, only one box, only this style etc. Accessories and options come around to improve things and or satisfy different customers. My otter is different than the new ones today but is my old otter junk? N0

Will the Marcum flasher 10 years from now be like my lx3? No.

But I do hope Vexilar is still around and I hope there is even more companies challenging the existing ones to make a better product.

Can I get an AMEN!!!

Not too serious but have fun.....SWILL

Dan-o
I had a couple of those giant water beetles surface in my holes this past weekend too. I didn't smash the little guys. I happen to think they're pretty cool. To each their own I guess. TROY

Dano2, The 12 would get a little messy. Take a club with instead eh. LOL

That could have been bubbles comming off the bottom you were marking too. It's happened to me before. I would see these marks comming up the screen and wonder WHAT THE was that all about ? Eventualy one came right up the hole BLOOP then I knew it was just fish farts ! LOL

Let your Lazo buddy sit on his pail all day with his pride for company.
You keep moving if your not on fish. Searching for fish leads to catching = learning.

Like Waleyes said , time on the ice with WHATEVER unit you have will make you a better fisherman.

Sorry for this off topic post.

Dark Cloud - Hey, well I received my blue box today so I will play around with insulating the bottom of it and mounting the FL-18 on it tonight. I will bring the LX-3 on Friday so you can check it out. Tyler will wan't to go he has been waiting since I sold the point and for the ice box to arrive and is ready. Hopefuly I can take him to drago sun. First will catch are limit and I can fiddle around with both side by side and prepare notes.
Sounds like a plan...

Old shop I worked at years ago, we used to get a couple of those giant beetles with the crazy tentacles in there every once in awhile,
One of the fab. guys would always find one and chase one of the welders around the shop with it. pretty funny.
the good old days