• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone use superlines on the ice?

redhooks

Question

just wondering if anyone uses fireline or spiderwire while ice fishing. I was thinking of trying some fireline this winter and was wondering what others think about it- do bobberstops stay put on them? do they freeze up as much as mono? and what about the visibility-is it worth trying the light 4lbtest/2lb diameter stuff for crappies?

9 answers to this question

I use 4/2 fireline all the time and love it.It does tend to freeze up more than mono but if you adjust alittle to it you can tolerate it.The other good qualities make it worth while.the two main things that I like are no strech so you dont have to set the hook as hard and you have alot more sencitivity.Also if you run into a bigger fish the strength is good.like the others have said make sore the bobber stops are real tight,tight enough so there real hard to nove before you trim them.

------------------
cal

I use all different sizes of Firelines and I am even trying the flame color on one of my lines this season(helps me justify having 11 rigs to the little woman if I experiment with them). I am hooked on Firelines. It is tough as nails, it is thin for its strength, it does not hold water, does not freeze, and it doesn't even burn up when you accidently tough it against the heater. Only drawbacks are the bobber stops slipping and the line slipping on the spool occasionally. Highly recommended!!!!

I have been testing 1/8 PowerPro on the ice. So far I really like it! Very thin and tough as anything. I test my eyes every time I need to rig up, man it is tough to see. For a superbraid it ice's up less I feel then others. My guides freeze up far less.

Another very good line is the new IronSilk. It is not a mono, not a superbraid, it is thin and low stretch yet managable.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Fireline Micro Ice is the best on the ice, hands down. I iced a 20" walleye last night on 4 pound. It had wound around my other line and the transducer. I landed it with the transducer in one hand in the fish in the other. Took a while to sort out afterward, but it was worth it.