• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dis-assembly/Lube of Tipups?

Uncle Grump

Question

Do tip-ups (under water spool kind) need to be greased from time to time to keep them working well?

Seems to me, that years ago, there was a special tip-up grease sold called Blue-Lube,
possibly by HT.

Have looked for it - don't find it anywhere.

Have had my tip-ups for eons - never done anything of the sort to them.

So if they do need greasing every so often,
what do you use? Vasaline? I asked this question of a clerk in a sporting goods store last night - he told me grease like for your car truck. Seems a bit extreme.

Thks

UG

8 answers to this question

Uncle Grump, I have had my tip-ups for so long I can't remember when I got them. I have never done anything with the spools and they work just as well as the day I got them.

The guy that told you to use the same grease that you use on your truck is not thinking straight. I would not put any petroleum based product into a lake. Just my thoughts.

uncle gump: Do not put car grease on your tip ups It will get stiff in the cold water. If your spools still turn freely, then don't do anything to them. If they don't then use the blue lube or one that is not affected by the cold.

Unc:

Good question. Never really considered it.

I've had my tip-ups over 5 years, two standard Polars and two Frabill 10-inch round insulated ones. I use them a LOT, and they still spin as smooth as day one. I think it would take a lot of spinning to work the grease out of a tip-up.

Gang

Did some more research on this topic....

1) HT does make a tip-up lubricant - it is called "Blue Lube" as I thought. A Gander Mtn store in Janesville WI has some. A clerk there indicates they will ship to another Gander Mtn store.

2) One of my tip-ups is a Beaver Dam - by Arctic Fisherman. Mine is bone-dry - there isn't a hint of grease left in mine.

Found out that Arctic Fisherman Co. will
re-pack and install a new spool for the nominal fee of $6.00, plus return shipping.
From WI to MN, thats $5-6. Send only the shaft assembly, remove the line. Arctic Fishermans phone number is 920-885-3118.

UG

I just finished greasing 12 tip-ups. 4 Polars and 8 arctics. I bought the blue lube at Fleet Farm. I had trouble last winter with a couple of them freezing up. Of course I did not know which ones were doing it from last year so I decided to grease them all. The polars are pretty easy to take apart. The Arctics only come apart by using a torch to soften the solder on the bottom of the spool. I then used a coat hanger and some cotton balls to clean the insides good. I re-applied Blue Lube, re-soldered the spool back on and I am ready to go! I forgot to mention the spool gets really hot so I did have to remove the braided line and then put it back on. I drilled a hole in the bottom of a 1# coffee can and ran a bolt through it with a nut on the bottom. I attached the bolt to my DeWalt cordless drill and used that to remove the line quickly. I suppose it would be easier to send the Arctics in, but Then I would have 40 bucks less in my pocket to spend at the ice fishing show!

[This message has been edited by hunt4food (edited 12-05-2002).]

Uncle G , I live about 35 miles from Arctic fisherman and usualy just take my spindles up there for regreasing.Although one year me and a couple buddies sent a dozen spindles in and had em back in about a week.
Actualy they just give you a new spindle instead of regreasing your old one. At least they used to. Been a few years since I replaced mine. I've picked up A Fishermen tip ups at garage sales in the past. You can usualy pick em up for under 5 bucks ( they go for around 20 new ) then get new spindles from AF. Cheap way to set yourself up with some good boards.

Geeman

If Arctic replaces the spindle - then I'm going to come out ahead - cause mine is cruddy - dirt/grime/rust, etc. REAL cruddy. smile.gif

Hunt4food

The problem I've had so far is finding the Blue Lube - I've got some coming now from the local Gander Mtn store - but they had to have it shipped in from another store. They didn't have it, neither does the local Fleet Farm store. Didn't see it at Owatonna Cabela's when I was last in there either.

The clerk at Gander told me that the Rochester (MN) store sells about 10% of the total sales volume in ice fishing gear and assec. that some of the other Gander stores sell, and that they don't get a "full load" of merchandise.

UG

Uncle G , Yea I thought they would just relube the shafts myself but the first time and ever since I took em there I was given new spindles. Just bolt em in and your good to go. Was a pretty good deal I thought as those spindle assemblies are'nt spud proof either ! LOL
I have a few extras layin around so I don't have to run up there every time I want em redone ... exchanged.

BTW , I live about 20 minutes from the Gander Mtn in Janesville so if the B Lube don't show up by you I'd be willin to pick some up for you and send it your way if you want. IF they still have any.

[This message has been edited by GEEMAN (edited 12-06-2002).]