• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Build Your own Ice Rods?

Slow Jigger

Question

How many of you have built your own rods from a kit or other ways???

I think I have read on this site Thorne Bros in Fridley, MN is a good stop. Any idea on the average cost??? Would like a nice do it yourself Walleye Rod.

I need a Christmas idea for my Mother-in-Law to buy me and slippers just don't work any more... grin.gif

20 answers to this question

I finished a new sweetheart 32" panfish rod with fuji guides and a premium cork handle. Total price at the fly shop (next to thorne bros.) was around $60, this included an epoxy kit and some thread. They also have a selection of "2nds" basically blanks with some sort of flaw, If it is your first time, I would build one on an inexpensive blank first to learn on, and then build a "good" one.

I am not sure if this is considered building your own ice rod... I find quality regular fishing rods that have been broken in half. I take the tip end, cut it to length and put on a cork handle.

I currently have a couple of ice rods in my library that are G-Loomis rods. The cost is around 15 bones for a broken rod and cork handle.

Marmot

Found this in a previous thread. By the way if you're looking for info, try the search option. I use it frequently to find stuff I've read previously and want to review, or reopen the topic.

Wild River Distributing is located at:
PO Box 223 - Hwy 95 North
Marine-On-St. Croix, MN 55047
Phone-651-433-2217.

Have fun Northlander!

Wild River IS the place to go, if you live within driving distance, go there the first time, get a feel for what they have, and after that you will be able to order out of there catalogue. It is a neat store in a beautiful little town on the river. Also they are very helpful on your mission to build rods.

I just built a rod this morning. 32-inch walleye rod. Bought the cork handle from Thorne Bro's and used the top section of a broken open water rod. Turned out pretty nice.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Great idea Marmot & MJ5! Take your broken rods or old ones that you don't use much & turn them into ice fishing rods. I've done that with a couple graphite baitcasting rods & they turned out nice. Perfect for bigger fish like cats, pike or lake trout. I have an old ultralight that would make a great ice fishing rod for panfish. I might cut it down & put a cork handle on it. Thanks, Vern

[This message has been edited by vern (edited 12-08-2002).]

IceNutt, I used an exacto-knife and that worked pretty good for cutting off the old guides. I bought some five minute epoxy from Home Depot and I was set for adding the new ones.

Good Fishin, Matt.