Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slow Jigger

Build Your own Ice Rods?

21 posts in this topic

How many of you have built your own rods from a kit or other ways???

I think I have read on this site Thorne Bros in Fridley, MN is a good stop. Any idea on the average cost??? Would like a nice do it yourself Walleye Rod.

I need a Christmas idea for my Mother-in-Law to buy me and slippers just don't work any more... grin.gif

I build mine, fun and very cheap, there is a huge mark up on rods, just takes a little of your time. I buy my supplies at a great place at Marine on the Croix, they ship it to me and away I go.

I finished a new sweetheart 32" panfish rod with fuji guides and a premium cork handle. Total price at the fly shop (next to thorne bros.) was around $60, this included an epoxy kit and some thread. They also have a selection of "2nds" basically blanks with some sort of flaw, If it is your first time, I would build one on an inexpensive blank first to learn on, and then build a "good" one.

Yep.. every rod I use now is one I made... Many shops will carry seconds, all you need to do is find one that you like that has the flaw on the butt section of the rod. Thorne Bros, and Capra's usually have the best selection.

Shefland...What was the name of that company in Marine on the St. Croix which sells kits and rod building supplies? I live in the area and that would be closer than thorn bros.

Swill

Shefland-

I too would be interested in the place in Marine.. I live in chisago and have always made the drive to Thorne... Thanks

Shefland

I would also be interseted....

If they have a web page or phone number please drop me an email.

hockeynut444@yahoo.com

Otherwise I can try Capra's or Thorne Bros. All 3 are pretty much the same drive for me.....

The place in Marine is called Wild River Distributing. It is THE place to go. You will pay half there compared to Thorne Bros.

I've used the Cabela's kits with good results. My biggest problem is that my fingers turn into thumbs when I'm wrapping the guides.

------------------
IceNut

I am not sure if this is considered building your own ice rod... I find quality regular fishing rods that have been broken in half. I take the tip end, cut it to length and put on a cork handle.

I currently have a couple of ice rods in my library that are G-Loomis rods. The cost is around 15 bones for a broken rod and cork handle.

Marmot

Are there books on how to put a rod together or how do you learn. I would love to put together a rod. I've done it before, but the spacing of my guides, the wrapping, and glueing looked terrible. Any help guys?

Anyone have a e-mail adress for Wild River Distributors? Phone #? Please send it to me. Thanks! walleyes4me32@aol.com

Found this in a previous thread. By the way if you're looking for info, try the search option. I use it frequently to find stuff I've read previously and want to review, or reopen the topic.

Wild River Distributing is located at:
PO Box 223 - Hwy 95 North
Marine-On-St. Croix, MN 55047
Phone-651-433-2217.

Have fun Northlander!

Captain, Lots of books out there on rod building. Dale Clemens has authored a few.
Search the book sellers for more. Cabela's also stocked some.

------------------
IceNut

Wild River IS the place to go, if you live within driving distance, go there the first time, get a feel for what they have, and after that you will be able to order out of there catalogue. It is a neat store in a beautiful little town on the river. Also they are very helpful on your mission to build rods.

I just built a rod this morning. 32-inch walleye rod. Bought the cork handle from Thorne Bro's and used the top section of a broken open water rod. Turned out pretty nice.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Try calling first. Went over Saturday but they were closed. frown.gif Great little spot they have brings you back to small town type atmosphere....

I will be calling tomorrow, hope they can get me started over the phone...

Great idea Marmot & MJ5! Take your broken rods or old ones that you don't use much & turn them into ice fishing rods. I've done that with a couple graphite baitcasting rods & they turned out nice. Perfect for bigger fish like cats, pike or lake trout. I have an old ultralight that would make a great ice fishing rod for panfish. I might cut it down & put a cork handle on it. Thanks, Vern

[This message has been edited by vern (edited 12-08-2002).]

When you guys recycle a broken or old rod, how do you deal with replacing the old guides? Seems like getting the old epoxy off might be a problem. Thanks

------------------
IceNut

IceNutt, I used an exacto-knife and that worked pretty good for cutting off the old guides. I bought some five minute epoxy from Home Depot and I was set for adding the new ones.

Good Fishin, Matt.