• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Reports

I've been in central ND all week looking for roosters and each day has had it's ups and downs, but today was definitely an "up" day. So far I've bagged eight pheasants and the corn and sunflowers are leaving the fields at a rapid pace with a major change in the weather coming late in the weekend. Luckily I popped these three before it got too warm today, as it's near 70 right now with a slight breeze and the dog has had about enough. Time to head back tomorrow to rest and heal up for the next trip back in a couple of weeks.

It's been a great week watching the dog work and beating the very dusty roads on the way to my little spots. smile

IMAG0262.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're heading up there duck hunting this weekend. Any reports on the duck numbers? Do NR need to buy their licenses on-line or can they get them over the counter? Also how do the zones work for waterfowl? Any info would be awesome!

Thanks guys!

Mattrd.......Can't get them over the counter as far as I know. Online or by phone.

We just got back on Sunday from a week in north central ND. Weather was way too nice. Still got birds but had to do a lot of scouting. Our last couple days we saw new birds coming down so I'm thinking with the weather change, things should be good.

We're heading up there duck hunting this weekend. Any reports on the duck numbers? Do NR need to buy their licenses on-line or can they get them over the counter? Also how do the zones work for waterfowl? Any info would be awesome!

Thanks guys!

A wise man once said: G@@GLE search "North Dakota Game and Fish" and all your questions will be answered.

I did Tyler, but I just wanted to double check if I was understanding everything correctly. I knew by asking on here I would get good straight to the point answers. Thanks guys we're all set for this weekend. smile

In the Northeast part (where I hunt) of the state you shouldn't have a problem finding either. Any specific area your heading too? I haven't seen any snows or blues yet but I had heard of a few up in the Langdon area.

Any duck/goose hunting reports? I am heading out in a couple days. Hopefully the wind is bringing new birds in.

I'm also heading out tuesday night for the DL area and have gotten reports from friends that live near that area and its looking really good for divers as they have really started to show up. the Geese are still there and they have been getting limits of honkers the snows and blues are around but not that many and most of them were local birds. they said they are still waiting on the northern birds to make an appearance yet.

Good Luck Trophy eyes and where are you headed maybe will X paths

You guys are gonna hammer the birds. Not seeing alot of duckhunters. I will see some guys with snow decoys. Plenty of birds to go around. Good luck to anyone coming to ND. I hunt plot land only and manage birds every time out.

I hunt close to you then. I did shoot some large mallards. Not sure if there the large mallards coming down from Canada. I'm new to waterfowl hunting so I'm still have lots to learn, but I do know those ducks are bigger than the ones I shot before. Let us know how you do smile. Sounds like your in a prime spot, I have a good idea of your general area. Like I said before I hunt plot land and the honey holes I found are off the road. The sloughs that are off the road where you have to walk a hundred yards to are the best for me but thats no secret. You should run across some grouse as well.

Birds are moving through. We witnessed a noticeable push last weekend. A difference of days, though. Saturday the mallards were more than willing to bomb right in. Sunday in another field, they'd circle 20 times before maybe getting close enough for a shot. Still got our limit, but it took until noon.

If you have questions on the Devils Lake area fishing or hunting, feel free to ask in this thread and I will do my best to answer.

What a great week we have had at Mitchell's Guide Service. Our clients have been going home with smiles on there faces and fish in there coolers. A few of the tactic's we have been using this past week have been the old reliable bottom bouncer with either a night crawler, leech, or Berkley Gulp crawler or minnow grub.

It seems that color didn't matter to much between white or chartreuse with natural being a close runner up. We would target weed edges in 7 to 15 feet of water. Old road beds have been producing some nice fish too. Don't get discouraged if you don't find them on the top of the road beds, try sliding over to the ditch. Sometimes it doesn't take much of a depth change to find active fish. Another productive presentation has been trolling crank baits in the same waters as you would pull spinners.

It seemed that they preferred them a little faster this past week, with speeds around 3 mph working well. Don't forget pitching crank baits or plastics along weed edges or rock piles has also been producing well.

Good Luck Too All!!!!

A couple buddies and I are heading out to Devils Lake this coming weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any good reports for Perch and Walleye? I have never fished Devils Lake before so was wondering if anyone had any advice.