• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Reports

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deer population where we hunt by the Sheyenne National Grasslands on the Sheyenne river seems to be pretty good. This weekend 2 of our hunters got some nice deer.

The rut should start to gear up very soon and the remainder of our archery season and the opening of rifle should be great.

Should be bo problem in filling all of our archery and rifle tags in the next 3 weeks.

Then we move on to the muzzleloader seaon which also should be no problem with the deer herd in good shape.

Just got back from hunting in North Central ND for waterfowl. Saw some ducks, but not much. Only found 1 spot that had a lot of mallards on it, and it was a tiny pothole, surrounded by cut pea fields. They love the peas.

Based on the massive flocks of snow geese we saw, I've got to believe the migration is now in full swing. Four of us got 13 snows/blues sneaking on Saturday (Oct. 24). Actually made one sneak where I personally was able to get right up on them and shot 5 on 3 shots. Seemed like every other quarter section we drove by was half covered with snow geese for miles on end. It was quite a time. A lot of Canada geese to be had too. Got one pretty decent 15-pound bird one day. I also noticed a lot of divers in the area we hunted, more than I ever remember seeing around that area in the past. Shot my first-ever drake redhead actually, which was pretty neat!

Based on my experience, I've got to say the hunting was pretty good. Personally bagged 9 birds (5 snows, 1 Canada, 1 Greenhead, 1 Black duck & 1 Readhead) in 2 days).

Hunted SE ND this past weekend. Very wet conditions, most crops (including soybeans) have not been harvested. Our party of 4 bagged 15 roosters in two days of hunting. Didn't see much for birds but took advantage of the opportunities that we had. Seemed to be plenty of duck hunters on Saturday. Some ducks in the area but few mallards. No snow geese.

Hunted N of 94 last weekend, ducks in nearly all water, more divers than anything, a few mallards/pintails; most shot over jumping ponds. morning setups for the early flight was alright, but slow. after the morning, it didnt pay to set up anywhere as they were not flying at all. mild weather; saw a couple fields with some geese in them but no duck feeds... waiting for the cold, but it will probably strike when I'm in MN deer hunting!!

Hunted N of 94 last weekend, ducks in nearly all water, more divers than anything, a few mallards/pintails; most shot over jumping ponds. morning setups for the early flight was alright, but slow. after the morning, it didnt pay to set up anywhere as they were not flying at all. mild weather; saw a couple fields with some geese in them but no duck feeds... waiting for the cold, but it will probably strike when I'm in MN deer hunting!!

8-12 inches of snow predicted for central ND tonight and tomorrow.

Well, its only a week and a few days and its time to start the annual find a nice buck season.

I have two doe tag and my non res buck tag and I am pumped for the season to start. I also have my archery tag to use yet too if time allows.

Good luck and may the deer Gods run a big trophy in to your sights.

Thats my goal this year Scoot. If I do let the younger ones walk, I should be able to shoot a very nice 10-12 pointer before seasons end.

I have been rifle hunting at the ranch for close to 20 years as a non res. I have always said that I should just hunt every day of the entire season.

This season to start off with, I will hunt at least 8 of the first 10 days. If no buck by then, I hope I can hunt the last 7 also.

Its nice to take the rifle out as it makes hunting so much easier.

Sometimes I feel like I am cheating when I use a rifle over my bow.

Hunting success will be low in the SE part of the state. Very little soybeans and corn have been combined and there is water everywhere. With corn moistures of over 35%, there is no way that the corn will be harvested by the end of the deer season.

those who hunt ND; do you guys do alot of deer drives through the crops?

Our group sits in stands.

I'm really scared of deer drives. I always worry that if a huge buck gets running, someone may lose their sense of direction and another could get shot.

We hunt them from trees and getem as they walk by.

Here you go. No you can't without permission of landowner

16. Posting and Trespass

Only the owner or tenant, or an individual authorized by the owner, may post land by placing signs giving notice that no hunting is permitted on the land. The name of the person posting the land must appear on each sign in legible characters. The signs must be readable from the outside of the land and must be placed conspicuously not more than 880 yards apart. As to land entirely enclosed by a fence or other enclosure, posting of signs at or on all gates through the fence or enclosure constitutes a posting of all the enclosed land.

Hunting on posted lands without permission from the owner or tenant is illegal and punishable by suspension of hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for a period of at least one year.

Any person may enter upon legally posted land (without a firearm or bow) to recover game shot or killed on land where he/she had a lawful right to hunt.

It is illegal to hunt in unharvested cereal and oilseed crops, including sprouted winter wheat, alfalfa, clover and other grasses grown for seed, without the owner’s consent.

It is illegal to deface, take down or destroy posting signs.

Failure to close gates upon exit or entry is a criminal violation punishable by forfeiture of hunting licenses.

It is illegal to hunt upon the premises of another within 440 yards of any occupied building without the consent of the person occupying the building. This does not prohibit hunting on land owned by neighbors (private or public) even if the land is less than 440 yards from the occupied building.