• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout Photo Gallery

Driftless

Scudly ya those steelhead are hard to beat they are great fun. Yes we can catch them most of the winter but late ice around mid march is best for numbers and size and yes I do chase them in the spring. Scudly I am located about 20 miles south of ashland wi located right on the shore's of lake superior's chequamegon bay. A great place to live big lake 20 min's from home and some great trout streams out my back door. Here's a few pics from this week from laker fishing out on the big pond. Hope you guy's like them 102_0522.jpg

Quote:
Scudly I am located about 20 miles south of ashland wi located right on the shore's of lake superior's chequamegon bay. A great place to live big lake 20 min's from home and some great trout streams out my back door.

You ARE one lucky dude! I have heard great things about the steelhead fishing in your area. Do you fish the White River? is it a warm river yet holds some hog browns, especially if you fish early spring after snow melt before the water warms and trout retreat to cooler spring fed tributaries? I hear you can float for two days and the first day have the whole river to yourself, best fishing being the first day?

I need to figure out how to live out in the country in cheese land surrounded by trout streams.

Fellas I just got back from southwestern WI fishing with my buddy Len. We were even filmed by Chris Kittelson from Pronghorn Productions on Saturday, opening day. I however had the very best of luck yesterday morning in the freezing rain...

Honest 20" male brown.

WI2010Opener10.jpg

Net with tape to prove it

WI2010Opener13anet.jpg

I hooked this guy in the cheek. Only One hook in him. I saw that right away and turned my drag lighter. This fish fought like a beast for a good five minutes with 10lb braided and a medium action G. Loomis 6' foot pole. Insanely strong for his size. This photo shows how chunky he is.

WI2010Opener14.jpg

Very next cast I get this 18.5" male.

WI2010Opener19-1.jpg

WI2010Opener20-2.jpg

Also a sweet looking male brookie with a big old jaw.

WI2010Opener2.jpg

Ah Lightening Creek. Cannot wait to go back...

Thanks guys. It was plenty warm on Sunday morning with the light freezing rain. Nothing compared to Saturday morning - dang was it cold! Hand warmers were essential. Drive safe in the valleys. I was skating down some hills, dirt roads with a

thin layer of ice.

Yep, the regulations say that rainbow trout on Lake Superior and tributaries up to the posted boundaries have a continuous season. The possession limit is 3 with a minimum of 16" and unclipped (wild) fish are catch and release only. There are more regulations that you can look into but everything I said covers it for the most part. Don't forget, treble hooks can be used in Superior but are not allowed on tributaries up to the posted boundaries. I know the regulations are complex, but the fishing is good. Hope you have some luck!

Here is one more from WI pre-season opener. This was actually the first fish of the day. Dang was it freezing early am. I believe it was only 20 out. Islets were icing up and the 17lb braided line was icing up.

WI2010Opener26h.jpg

Why 17lb braided? Because I lost a 32" brown on 10lb last August. I did not see the 32," believe she passed on. However still plenty of big fish here. Background darkened to protect my spot. Fish actually caught right around sunrise.

I would never have thought to use braided line that big...I just try to use Power pro...that way you get the 20 lb line in 5 lb diameter...a lot easier to cast those spinners.