• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sabot Slugs- What's a good one ?

I tried the the remington the winchester and lightfield. The lightfield was the most consistent for me in all 3 of my Remingtons and the best price at the time, I see now they are right up there with the others at 11-12$ a box.

These are what I was Shooting

1100 Remington 20ga with hastings Fully Riffled cantilever 24".

1100 Remington 20ga with Fully Rifled 21"with open sights.

1187 Premier 20ga with 21" Fully Rifled with open sights.

Best of luck to ya..

My father was shooting a Mossberg 500 12 ga with Fully Rifled cantilever and he liked the winchester.

I've shot a lot of different sabots and the best one I've ever shot is the Federal premium Barnes expanders. They flower out perfect and have a cutting edge on each petal. The down side is the price. Almost $4 per shot! If you can get those to shoot good through your gun though you have no need to use anything else.

I forgot to mention I use to shoot the remmy copper solids and then switched to winchester partition gold 2 3/4's. Don't shoot 3" sabots, all they do is end up jamming on you. It happened with my 870 and a friends 500, both seperate occasions but both with bucks looking at us taunting us.....

I trust hornady products and just haven't broken down and bought some yet. My partitions work pretty awesome right now

Picks, I shot the golds for a number of years, two years ago I switched to the Hornady SST. They were $5 cheaper, and were still an awesome shell. They both shot equally well out of my gun. I have had no problems with the SST. But I never had any problem with the partitions either, I could just get 3 boxes of SST's for the price of 2 partition golds.

The sabots might be expensive but I shoot considerably less with them. The accuracy is amazing. If I shoot 5 a year, thats alot and it means I missed at least once.

I would buy one box of

Federals, Winchesters, Hornadys, and Remingtons to your liking. Find out what shoots good, and stick with them. It might be cheaper if you have a friend that has some old shells he wants to get rid of. Should only take a couple of each.

I've shot the Brenneke Golds for with excellent results. From what I've been told, you can no longer find them (Brenneke out of business?? I don't know for sure)

I've shot the Federal Barnes Expanders for a couple years. The first year put my first buck down, but the slug lodged in the neck against the spine. The following year, I had another spinal shot and the bullet ricocheted off the spine and the deer ran off. We did find the deer alive the following weekend with a football size hole in it's back.

I used to shoot the Remington CorLokt Sabots and liked them except for the recoil, and they broke one Nikon scope. I switched last year to the copper solids and they grouped in one hole at fifty yards and performed well on deer. Very manageable recoil but now $17 a box.

Does anyone know how the recoil compares between the copper solids and the SST's?

i shoot lightfields! better knock down power. hornady and rem coppersolids are awesome too. for me i want knock down power so i don't have to track a deer to far. first year with it cause i just bought a savage slug warrior 12 gauge. couple weeks ago for early doe season dropped a doe in it's tracks at 40 yards. after that i decided just to stay with lightfields.

I have heard good things about the lightfields also. One thing to mention with these slugs, they do not have the knockdown power of the one ounce slugs of old. You almost have to take the same approach as you would hunting with a bow. Shoot it in the boiler room behind the front shoulder, You will know if its a good hit, let it run off, wait a half hour, go find it. Its a little bit different. Most of the time these bullets zip right through the rib cage and the deer doesn't always roll over and die instantly. However, every deer that I have shot with these slugs have never went more than 50 yards. Many have dropped within sight.

Final note, this is why I am not a huge supporter of neck shots with these slugs. However, a large number of people still take that shot and are successful. I am a boiler room guy.

I have a Mossberg 500 20 guage with cantalievered rifled barrel and I shoot Hornady's SST 250 grain that shoot at 1800fps!

The deer I shot at 50 yards fell right over like it got hit by a truck and had a 2 inch hole from one side to the other going thru the shoulder!

Everybody asked my why I bought a wimpy 20 guage so I tell them the story about the deer I shot last fall!

3 inch groups at 50 yards right out of the box with those Hornady's! grin

Oh yea hornadys sst are hard to beat. I shot them through my 20 gauge last season. Winchester supremes are always another good option. honestly ive tryed everything and they all work but those are my top 2.

HNTNBUX,

It's funny you asked that question, I jsut got done sighting in my dads remington 870 with the SST's. I shoot the copper solids and also shot mine to make sure it was still on, and couldn't tell a diffence in recoil at all.

I have a Mossberg 500 20 guage with cantalievered rifled barrel and I shoot Hornady's SST 250 grain that shoot at 1800fps!

The deer I shot at 50 yards fell right over like it got hit by a truck and had a 2 inch hole from one side to the other going thru the shoulder!

Everybody asked my why I bought a wimpy 20 guage so I tell them the story about the deer I shot last fall!

3 inch groups at 50 yards right out of the box with those Hornady's! grin

LMAO on the (wimpy 20ga) laugh. 4 out of the 7 people that deer hunt from our camp shoot 20ga. between the 4 of us we are 13 for 13 on shots taken and deer recovered in the last 5 yrs. I have no reason to go after deer with a 12ga anymore..

yea i shot the auto loader 12 gauge for years, then converted to the pump 12g, and as of 2 years ago converted to the a pump 20g. Man was that a good decision. theres no doubt in my mind that the bigger chunk of lead from the 12 gauge has more wallop on bone shots, but with todays highend slugs i havent had any problems with the wimpy 20g yet.

20 guage slugs definetly has less flinch factor than the 12 guage shoulder killers which results in better shot placement. I had rotator cuff repair a few years back and I don't need the extra pounding of the 12 guage slug to drop a deer. grin