• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is this a cracked heat exchanger (Armstrong ultra sx 80)?

Moe Szyslak

yes that is a crack I would have a qualified heating company come out and look at it. But be ready to spend the money to have it replaced because they will probably red tag it and disable the furnace (saftey and legal reasons) would'nt wait too long to have it looked at and make sure you have at least 2 good co detectors. I've seen much worse cracks that were'nt letting out co but still better to be safe than sorry.

The company I worked for would have condemed this furnace but the owner was smart to cover his butt. And sell new furnaces. That looks like the tube style heat exchanger when i've seen those crack it was usually in the front (which in my opinion is'nt as dangerous) or on the sharp bends inside thats were the heat can build up. Also check into the warrenty on the heat exchanger some brands are quite long some are lifetime.

If you have an HVAC tech come out and look at it, they will make you fix it. It is not the "heat exchanger" itself, it is the "flame retainer" and it can be replaced.

I would not recomend doing it yourself, but you can.... Do some looking around you should be able to find the part.

There stands a good chance that this is not your only issue with this furnace. You may still want to call someone out and have it looked over.

Just my .02

Well. I am at the point where I am getting quotes today for a new furnace altogether.

I want to understand if its even worth my time trying to get this one running again or not. If this piece is not the heat exchanger than I will probably keep this furnace and have a tech come out to fix its minor starting issue. It ignites and the burner comes on fine every time but the furnace kicks off about 10 seconds after the burners lite (the system recyles once and it runs fine). I have comfirmed that the pressure switch is being tripped causing it to kick off. I have removed the pressure hose and cleaned both orifices and the rubber tube.

Just need to understand if this cracked piece is a heat exchanger.

THanks all.

Having the same issues as you with my furnace. Had a tech out and he started to do the tests and gave me a "helpful hint" that the heat exchanger is probably shot and if he goes futher I will be without heat. The cost to explore and then fix was just a little under the cost to replace by his estimate, seems like a no-brainer to me. Another HVAC company came over and echoed his thoughts...new furnace being installed on Wednesday.

After the 30% tax credit the new furnace will cost less than fixing it.

Do you have just one pressure switch? That would be the exhaust blower/venter. Your burner shouldn't lite if that were the problem. Being that it is intermittent could be you have a dirty, rotted, or loose connection on the hose. Replace the hose. It could be one of the spades are dirty too. Condensation could also cause this.

If you have another switch that would be in the for circulation air. If that blower doesn't come on the it'll shut down. A dirty air filter will cause that as well but at least the blower will come on.

Could also be a burner heat sensor.

About the crack, it isn't your heat exchanger. Could have happened from flame alignment.

Good Luck

I only have one 2wire/1hose pressure switch. It is connected to the exhaust blower housing. I pulled off the hose and blew through it and also cleaned the two conenction points. The burners come on for less than 20 seconds and then it kicks off right before the blower should turn on.

How does condensation cause this?

Thanks for the help....

You blew the hose and no condensation, right? How about inside the fitting on the exhaust blower and switch? Are they clean of crud or rust. The hose needs to have a tight connection and not leak air. As I said, if the problem was the switch you furnace wouldn't cycle to the point of the burner turning on. I only mentioned the above because it is intermittent and you said "I have confirmed that the pressure switch is being tripped causing it to kick off".

After the burners ignite the next safety check is the heat sensor.

Because it should NOT crack right there if it was working properly. Do you feel safe living in a place that has a system like that, I wouldnt.? It is overheating, or its just a bad designed furnace. In theory even though its is not the actualy heat exc that is cracked, it is possible for CO to seep through that crack, especially when it gets larger. Looks like a mid 90's Goodman furnace to me.

I would reccomend a new furnace vs replacing the heat exchanger. Amrstrong furnaces have a reputation for this sort of thing. goodman/janitrol not any better. I would get some estimates on a new furnace & dont buy the cheapest you can find. with the energy rebates its a good time to upgrade.

FYI Goodman solved their heat exchanger problems around 5 years ago. When Amana and them merged, they went from junk to quality.

This is from a guy that has worked on fossil fuel furnaces for 15 years. I highly recommend Goodman now. I use to hate em'.

Exactly the same crack on our Armstrong Ultra SX 80 M/N GCJ050D10-4 . Which also has start up issues which we trace to junk in the fitting or tube connecting to the vacuum switch. The crack is right where the burner flame enters the exchanger so that would probably be the hottest spot on the unit.  I put an inspection cam into the exchanger and see no rust or anything interesting. I am not worrying about it. The size of the crack is smaller than other little holes in that plate which, I imagine, are there for test probes. And we have two CO detectors and have never had an issue.