• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

heater for permanent house

osakisresort

Question

21 answers to this question

I use a 12,000 btu Suburban on a 7 x 14. This is a heater used in RV's. Blown air is the way to go. Within a half hour of opening all the holes in my house, the floor is completely dry. Drawback is about $400 and additional drain on the battery. If I remember right, Glow-warm has a blower option available on their ventless. May want to ask around and see how this works.

i looked today at vented ones, and mills feet farm did have some, they are all out right now of 20000 btu for 105 but guess that doesnt do if they are gone. What does everyone think about the ventless ones? any problems with carbon monoxide or lack of oxygen?

vented for sure I bought a 20000 btu orbis
brand at fleet farm $369 on sale right now i think. like it good so far 7x16 80deg on low after about half hour warm up while drilling and cleaning holes etc I'm very satisfied
vented and co detectors are a must especially in a sleeper

I just put an vent-free infrared heater with a low O2 shut off in my permanent. I also put a carbon monoxide detector in the house. Now I see you guy's talking about going vented. Are they really that much safer? What other advantages do the vented heaters have?

Thanks
d

I've heard that on windy days wind can come down the vent pipe and blow out the flames. That doesn't seem too safe. As long as you have wall vents in a house with a ventless heater (as well as one in the floor in front of the heater),I don't see how you could have a problem. Remember these heaters are approved for indoor use. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
-FT2

Fishtrap2,
Most of them have auto-shut off valves that shut off the gas if the wind blows it out. I have not had it happen unless I have it turned way down and it is really windy out. That combination doesn't happen too often. Last week I talked to a professional HVAC guy, and he said by all means go with the vented. Rumor has it that some states are considering banning the ventless ones in motor/trailer homes. IMHO, I want that CO and H2O to go out of my roof, not into my shanty then through a vent. I am sure the ventless ones are safe, but I really believe that the vented ones are safer.

------------------
Wables

mine is a direct vent out side wall drove
down the road the other day 65mph stopped at gas station and checked guess what???
heater was still running nice and toasty in shack, works great very happy with it.
if it dont blow out driving down the highway
I dont think winds gonna blow it out
redrider

I've used a 20,000 btu Ker-o-Sun brand ventless kerosene heater in my 16' X 30'wood shop for 15 years. I do have a detector but the only time it has alarmed was the first day - the heater also stunk the first time I lit it. No smell since and absolutely no problems. I built the building and it is well insulated so I'm sure it maintains heat better than a permanent on the ice. I'd crack a window in a sleeper for reassurance but they are safe for use in your home.

Wables, your right about codes getting away from ventless heaters. I was in the plumbing/HVAC field for 16 years, now work as a plumbing. HVAC inspector for a Minneapolis suburb. A few of the national codes allow ventless heaters EXCEPT in sleeping rooms. Also they're not allowed as a primary heat source. In MN. any ventless heater is not allowed by code. However, fishouses are not governed by any code at all.

I have a 7x14 and I used a buddy heater for a full season. Did not have any problems other than the nagging worry about sleeping in it. I installed a vented Orbis heater about a month ago so I expect to sleep well this winter.

Being this house your buiding is most likely a rental,if it is a sleeper you better put a good vented heater in it just from a libility stand point.

From what I'm getting from everyone the vented ones are the safest, yet no one seems to have a problem with the ventless. Well, i found a vented 20000 btu for $100 i think ill go with that. Should be plenty big enough, and i wont have to worry bout condenstion and carbon monoxide. Thanks for the help everyone.

I've got a 24k BTU Kerosene heater that I bought from hsolist last year for 80 bucks. Works great. Only smell is when you light it and shut it off, which I do outside anyway. Once lit, it's whisper quiet and has no odor. This heater worked excellent in the 7x12 fishouse I had last year. Worth looking into.