• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HARVEST PROGRESS

With 1" of rain here in Lisbon, and 2.5 - 3" east to I-29 and North to Fargo it's going to be a bit before the farmers are back in the fields.

I'm expecting the corn harvest (at this point anyway) to be similar to last year - well into Deer Hunting.

marine_man

As of Sunday our farmer friends NE of Devil's Lake had most in except there beans, they said. They said it had been too wet, and they only had about 15 acres done, and they are big farm. But they said all was going pretty well, and not as wet as last year, yet... Hoping we will find some good duckin in some flooded bean fields this weekend smile

Yeah, they told me it was going to be cold, so I guess just keeping fingers crossed. We don't really have much bigger water nearby, but I know a couple bigger sloughs that should not be froze over, and one right behind friends farm, so easy to get to smile

But sure hope the ice melts off the bean fields... we are pretty far north of you, so maybe even worse... still keeping fingers crossed smile Hoping you can tell us by Weds night that some has opened up wink

Talk'n with home the harvest is way, way behind even on beans now. We are delaying now because of the crops too. Pheasants have had little pressure in our area because of the crops still out ... this in an area where most all should be off by now.

Was out today pheasant hunting/scouting for waterfowl. Lots of frozen water, including some big stuff. Still water where birds were keeping it open though. I'd say maybe 2% of the beans are out, and virtually no corn. Another wet one this fall, prey that it dries up for these farmers. Forcast isn't looking great though.

I just spent the weekend around Leonard southwest of Fargo.

All I can say is that the few crops that did get planted will be in the field for a week or better yet in our area. I have never seen this much water in the fall in the 20+ years I have been hunting there.

I do believe there are going to be fields that the ground will need to freeze before a combine could get in the field.

Man, she is WET.

I'm currently sitting in Bismarck in the pouring rain. Yesterday I got back in the early afternoon and managed to get a rooster about five minutes into my walk and then only found hens after that.

As far as the crops are concerned, row crops are still standing and will be for a while based on the rain that has fallen last night and today with more possibly coming. There seems to be a lot of wheat planted around the area this year compared to last, so there are places to hunt to get away from the standing sunflowers and corn. For the most part the only corn that is down were the fields planted for silage. It's going to be a long fall/winter for the farmers to get this stuff off (if they even will be able to).

Yeah.....deer hunting could be as bad as last year with all the standing corn.Better get you deer the first day and a half before they are all chased into the corn.I won't have that problem this year since I have a mulie tag.

The rain finally quit late in the afternoon yesterday so this morning around 9:30 I slowly worked towards a few hunting areas that were close to the main roads and didn't require mud bogging down any section lines. Picked up one bird at my first spot and decided to try the area I got a bird on Monday afternoon and found them tucked in tight in the cattails. The dog did a wonderful job going in after them and prying them loose for me to take a shot. I managed to get two more and was done by noon.

They are holding very tight with this overcast and cool weather which makes for a pointing dog's dream. I have to give credit to my GSP for getting the three birds and I'll take the assist for finishing the deal with the trusty 16 ga. She definitely did her job today, especially on the two that I knocked down but couldn't get to right away due to a creek bottom, etc. I knew where they landed but they had their legs and took off. The dog circled around the area and eventually pointed them for the second time so I could run up and grab them.

The one bird had flown in a SE direction when I shot and hit it, but it was nowhere to be found. The dog started heading north of the spot where it originally got up so I started calling for her thinking she's off to find more "fresh" birds. I was getting a little frustrated because I wanted to find that downed bird and she was off in the other direction. I whistled and called a few times but she wouldn't come and hesitated on tapping the e-collar just in case she was on another bird. So, walking in the complete opposite direction of where the bird fell, cussing a little bit at the dog under my breath, I came up on her in full point only to find the wounded rooster! That bird had hit the ground, took a 180, and motored another 50 yds the other direction. That'll teach me to not trust her nose again! It was also really exciting to see her hold that point for that long until I got up to her. Fun day, even in the mud and the wet grass.