• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar & Cabelas

IceNutt

Question

I'm curently in the market for an FL-18. Through some research, info. here, and visiting the local Cabelas, I've learned some interesting tidbits, and have some questions.

First, Cabela's sells a "Soft Pack" package that they piece together using the unit, but a different battery, charger, tray, case and no battery status indicator. This is NOT the same setup as the Vexilar "Pro-Pack". How many you have purchased the Cabela's package and have you experienced any problems?

I also learned off another thread that Vexilar will no longer be selling individual units to Cabela's (only their "Pro" and "Economy" Packs) to prevent them from piecing together their own packages. Apparently Vexilar has received complaints about about problems with non-Vex package setups.

Finally, the Cabela's setup only comes with the 12 degree transducer, and they will not do a switch for a dual beam. I'd be interested in hearing pros/cons of each and where I might find a competitive price on a "Pro-Pack" with a dual beam.

I know the Vexilar topics get beat to death here at times. But I have a strong feeling the debates on this particular BB help to make sure that we the anglers get the best these businesses have to offer.

13 answers to this question

I don't know what "Pack" I have but it has the 9 / 19 degree transducer and the selector switch mounted onthe tray. It also has the battery indicator mounted to the tray. I purchased the case seperatly and I love it... I did some research on the cone size and being that I do most of my fishing in 20 ft or less I discovered that the 19 degree option was a must.

Just my 2 cents...

Cabela's just ruined it for anyone who wants to mount a vex on a blue box and that sucks! I will never go to Cabela's again. You can still buy a LX-3 and put it on a blue box. In fact I can't see myself buying a vex if I have to buy the pro pack. It will be a LX-3 in my house this year.

Geeze....relax. You can still buy the Vex and just the Vex at places Like L&M Fleet, Thorne Brothers...etc.

It's not nescessary to badmouth a place just because they don't sell the exact package you want.

Personally I don't like Cabelas and find them to be more of a logo then anything else...But for those who love the store, I am happy they found someone they like to shop.

PCG

That was my take on what was said as well. You can still buy the stand alone unit (i.e. no battery, no charger, no case, etc.), but NOT with an ICE-DUCER. You will still be able to buy ice-ducers separately. But if you want a setup for ice fishing, you will have three options: 1)Pro-Pack, 2)Value-Pack, or 2)stand-alone unit w/puck or high-speed ducer, PLUS an additional ice-ducer. Period. This basically means all those other "packages" that other companies sell (e.g. Cabela's, Thorne Bros., Reeds, etc.) will no longer exist because these companies won't be able to buy just the unit/ice-ducer combo from Vexilar. ...unless I interpreted something wrong.

I don't know if Cabela's was the specific company that "screwed it up for everybody". Cabela's has a large finger in the pot and were probably a significant part of the problems that caused Vexilar to make this decision.

But I digress ... to my original post. I didn't want to create a "Cabela's bashing" thread by any means. Just wanted to know 1)quality/reliability of Cabela's "Soft Pack" package(batt,charger,setup,etc.) and 2)12 vs. dual cone angle opinions

[This message has been edited by Matt D (edited 12-03-2002).]

Heard from the Brainerd Jaycees that they have had the same problem we have had here in Aitkin with Vex. They are swamped and not able to fill their orders anywhere as of late...if it is not in stock at the store they ain't gettin' more. We were told to have our orders in to Vex by early Dec or they would run out! Looks like that has happened! Give 'em a break though...they have a fabulous product and everyone wants it!

Well I apoligize for not reading that post correctly.

That's a big sh!t in my hat, as I was going to purchase a new FL-8...But only the unit as I have the blue box, new battery and brand new 19 deg ice ducer.....

Guess not...Where's a good place to get an FL-8 serviced? Need a new on/off switch and have the brushes cleaned...

PCG

PCG: You CAN currently still get stand alone units, but you'd better hurry because the only ones out there will be the ones retailers have in stock; they won't be getting any more. I was just at Scheel's here in Grand Forks last night and they had some FL-8's on hand (just unit + ice-ducer).

I purchased a pro pak from Cabelas last year(FL-18) and have not had any trouble with the battery or anything else. The only thing is Cabelas don't include the batt. status indicator or the free video that you would have received if you bought it from Vex. But I called Vexilar and they were nice enough to send me the video. But if your going to spend the money buy the Vex pro pak because it comes with a better charger, battery, batt. status indicator, free video, and it's put together at Vex and they test it out before sending it to you. Just my $.02

I'm curently in the market for an FL-18. Through some research, info. here, and visiting the local Cabelas, I've learned some interesting tidbits, and have some questions.

First, Cabela's sells a "Soft Pack" package that they piece together using the unit, but a different battery, charger, tray, case and no battery status indicator. This is NOT the same setup as the Vexilar "Pro-Pack". How many you have purchased the Cabela's package and have you experienced any problems?

I also learned off another thread that Vexilar will no longer be selling individual units to Cabela's (only their "Pro" and "Economy" Packs) to prevent them from piecing together their own packages. Apparently Vexilar has received complaints about about problems with non-Vex package setups.

Finally, the Cabela's setup only comes with the 12 degree transducer, and they will not do a switch for a dual beam. I'd be interested in hearing pros/cons of each and where I might find a competitive price on a "Pro-Pack" with a dual beam.

I know the Vexilar topics get beat to death here at times. But I have a strong feeling the debates on this particular BB help to make sure that we the anglers get the best these businesses have to offer.

I could live with it not coming with the battery status indicator, since you can buy 'em separate for another $17. I guess if a problem ever popped up with the battery, Cabela's has always been very good about service/exchange on anything with their name on it. Now if they'd just swap out the 12 deg. transducer for a dual beam, I'd be happy with their customer service. Otherwise, Scheel's will probably get my business and I'll have to save my gift certif. & discounts at Cabela's for another toy.

I bought my 18 at cabela's last year with their soft pack. The pack itself is alright, but I have been happy with the battery and charger. The 12 degree cones works fine for me, but I haven't fished over 40 feet to need another cone. I think the battery indicator that Vex sells is INFERIOR to the SmartCharge I ended up getting. I own both, and perfer the SmartCharge. It is to bad this options is not going to last long.