Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
coombia21

otter differences

I am wondering what is the difference between a 4 year old otter frame and a brand new otter frame because i can get a 4 year old otter lodge just the frame from my brother for 100 no canvas but is there is problems with them i will just wait and buy a new one

I believe the older otter's had round frame tubing. Mine is 2 or 3 years old and it has square tubing. That's the only difference that I know of.

The new 3rd generation Otter tubing has a nylon inserts at the ends of the frame tubing - it is suppose to make it easier to take down & setup. Eliminates the binding that you can run into with the metal on metal tubing (see description on their HSOforum). I have the second generation frame design with the square tubing w/ no nylon inserts. It sometime does bind a bit, but is very workable. The first generation had round tubing.

Before pulling the trigger, I'd price total cost of all the adding other components you'll have to add: canvas, slead, seats, etc. May be cheaper to find a good package deal on used on the usual classifed sites (FM included)

If that is the case .... pull the tigger on your brothers frame.

Besides the Otter canvas opion, might be worth checking into Canvas Craft Norpac R2 insulated Canvas option - I think it should fit that frame - have heard very good things about shacks insulated with this fabric (Frabill carries a model with this material). Otherwise, the "poor" mans insulated version works pretty good - just put a layer of Reflectix on the inside ceiling of your standard Otter canvas.

Given those options I would lean to the R2 Tec insulation crafted by Canvas Craft. You would gain a moisture resistant material that is lightweight and durable and well crafted.

If you order one request the corner and bottom center gussets be double reinforced at the points where the draft shirt meets up to the sled.

Ya I would get your brothers and order a newer canvas from Otter. www.otter

Make sure you tel them exactly what sled and poles you have.

The new Ice Camo skins are awesome. Never had any issues with mine.

I'd recommend trying Otter Outdoors directly for some factory seconds if you are looking to save a buck; I did. I bought a sled, hyfax, and towbar for $60 off of a certain List updated by Craig, and then emailed Otter Outdoors about factory seconds. They have factory new poles w/ demo skins in different sizes available. I got a purple Cabin skin w/ some dust on it from being setup in a store, and a new pole kit (unopened) for $140.

I'd recommend calling or emailing them directly, and you will have to pick it up as they won't ship it to you, and the quantities are limited and may be older models (purple or green w/ previous pole designs). But, if you are ready to spend $100 on used poles alone, spend a little more to get a skin and new poles directly! Or, if you'd like, get a whole new skin and poles, as I don't think the poles themselves are the expensive part of the package.

They use to list just the skins for sale on the HSOforum if you already had the poles. I don't see that they list them on the HSOforum anymore ... may have to call direct to order.

i called otter today and i am going to get a call back on the prices for different skins and frame packages i need to call them back tomorrow to ask about their seconds and the costs

I was just at Otter on Friday. They hooked me up great, I will go there for anything else I need. What I was told by employees of Otter, is the new skins do not fit on the round poles. If it is the newer heavy green skin or the Artic Ice you need square poles. But they do have tons of factory seconds there, sleds, poles, and skins, and you can get a whole setup really cheap. Call and tell them what you have, what you want, and be specific, they will hook you up. Their customer service is second to none! Hope this helps and good luck!