• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

otter differences

coombia21

I am wondering what is the difference between a 4 year old otter frame and a brand new otter frame because i can get a 4 year old otter lodge just the frame from my brother for 100 no canvas but is there is problems with them i will just wait and buy a new one

The new 3rd generation Otter tubing has a nylon inserts at the ends of the frame tubing - it is suppose to make it easier to take down & setup. Eliminates the binding that you can run into with the metal on metal tubing (see description on their HSOforum). I have the second generation frame design with the square tubing w/ no nylon inserts. It sometime does bind a bit, but is very workable. The first generation had round tubing.

Before pulling the trigger, I'd price total cost of all the adding other components you'll have to add: canvas, slead, seats, etc. May be cheaper to find a good package deal on used on the usual classifed sites (FM included)

If that is the case .... pull the tigger on your brothers frame.

Besides the Otter canvas opion, might be worth checking into Canvas Craft Norpac R2 insulated Canvas option - I think it should fit that frame - have heard very good things about shacks insulated with this fabric (Frabill carries a model with this material). Otherwise, the "poor" mans insulated version works pretty good - just put a layer of Reflectix on the inside ceiling of your standard Otter canvas.

Given those options I would lean to the R2 Tec insulation crafted by Canvas Craft. You would gain a moisture resistant material that is lightweight and durable and well crafted.

If you order one request the corner and bottom center gussets be double reinforced at the points where the draft shirt meets up to the sled.

I'd recommend trying Otter Outdoors directly for some factory seconds if you are looking to save a buck; I did. I bought a sled, hyfax, and towbar for $60 off of a certain List updated by Craig, and then emailed Otter Outdoors about factory seconds. They have factory new poles w/ demo skins in different sizes available. I got a purple Cabin skin w/ some dust on it from being setup in a store, and a new pole kit (unopened) for $140.

I'd recommend calling or emailing them directly, and you will have to pick it up as they won't ship it to you, and the quantities are limited and may be older models (purple or green w/ previous pole designs). But, if you are ready to spend $100 on used poles alone, spend a little more to get a skin and new poles directly! Or, if you'd like, get a whole new skin and poles, as I don't think the poles themselves are the expensive part of the package.

I was just at Otter on Friday. They hooked me up great, I will go there for anything else I need. What I was told by employees of Otter, is the new skins do not fit on the round poles. If it is the newer heavy green skin or the Artic Ice you need square poles. But they do have tons of factory seconds there, sleds, poles, and skins, and you can get a whole setup really cheap. Call and tell them what you have, what you want, and be specific, they will hook you up. Their customer service is second to none! Hope this helps and good luck!