• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cannon river saugers?

roughfish29

I fish the cannon quite a bit, below the dam you have more species than above, they are saugers...infact I caught one yesterday. Here's some more info thats going to make you want to fish this river even more.

All these fish were caught on the cannon:

9 lb walleye

47" northern

36" muskie...I've seen much bigger than this

15 lb flat head

5 lb smallies

7 lb brown trout

several small rainbows

the list goes on.....

This list was accomplished over the last 4 years and countless hours on the river

RiverFly,

This sounds interesting. Are you fishing right below the dam, or further downstream? What is the best presentation, casting cranks, or jigs with a minnow/crawler/leach? Are you shore fishing, or in a small boat

Thanks for any info!

Wading mostly, the big pike was cuaght right below the dam on the day before Thanksgiving 3 years ago the muskie near welch, I saw 2 muskies 45 inches+ floating on my pontoon between Cannon Falls and the Mississippi about a month ago. The big eye and many others 5+ during high water periods. During high water the only way to go is live bait most of my big eyes and browns have come that way. When the water is mid range cranks are the way to go. this year the river has been pretty low I've been fly fishing alot. You just have to pay attention to whats going on. Im sure you have seen schools of minnows being blown up by small mouth chasing them. Cast into those areas with a white and sivered body zonkers and its a sure hook up. Also don't be afraid to cast flies into fast moving water as smalies, white bass and rainbows are holding there and looking for small bait fish and insects that are disorientated. As for cats look for downed trees and deeper holes. I'm going to try to get down there this weekend if the weather holds message me if your interested.

there isn't any sauger above the dam...the sauger that are in the cannon come from the mississippi and can't go any further then the dam...there used to be a dam in welch and none of the fish could come up the river past that point but since they tore that down any species thats in the mississippi is in the cannon river up to the dam.

the river will never be anything like it used to be growing up and on into the late 90's when water levels were way higher...seems like it gets shallower every year...dryin up and getting super shallow just like all the trout streams.