• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting trailer?

I am looking at buying a hunting trailer. It would be used to haul my duck and goose stuff to ND along with the atv. I will also use it for deer hunting for the ATV. I want to build a couple fold up beds on the walls for sleeping along with a cooking stove. I am thinking about a 6 x 12 or 6 x 16 single or tandem Axle enclosed trailer. You can get them with Windows and ceiling vents. The other option would be a fishhouse on wheels. But with reading on the internet I have heard the houses axles just don't hold up hauling on the bumpy roads. Anyways Anyone have ideas, pictures etc... On what you have done or seen done?

Think about what the extra cost would be if you wanted to go the fish house route. Seems to me that the late ice we've had over the past 5 years or so really makes them expensive in terms of the amount of use you're going to get. There's a lot of discussion in the ice fishing forum and guys go to great lengths to trick them out.

I just used a 14X8 for bear hunting this year and it was great. We hauled two polaris wheelers, bait for a week/plus, and all camping gear no problem. We slept on cots inside the trailer and had a clean dry place to sleep. I would go with a tandem axle but I like to overbuild everything.

If you are pulling out into fields, it might be helpful to keep the wheels following in truck tire tracks, so keeping it 6 feet wide might be better. Also, getting one with V front should help a bit with mileage and also give you the little bit extra room up front.

We haven't slept in the ones we used, but a 6x12 with v front and single axle worked well, but we did not bring wheeler in it. Good luck!

I deffintly want to put the wheeler and either a small trailer for the gear or an otter sled for pulling gear out in the fields. I want the option for sleeping mostly for when hunting by myself in ND. If I was with the group in ND I would be staying at the hotel. The other reason for sleeping would be for deer hunting. Where I could pull out all the decoys and put them in the garage and use it as a hunting shack. I was thinking of adding a blue flame heater for when sleeping or using an electric and the generator.