Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt D

Ducer beam & 8 vs. 18

4 posts in this topic

I've been debating how I plan on spending any X-mas gift certificates and all the discounts I've got coming from Cabela's and have decided to break down and get a Vex. First planned on an FL-8, but now considering the FL-18 (pro-packs). I'd welcome others' input on the decision. More importantly, I discovered I've got to decide on cone angle. Three options for the 8 (9,19,dual) and two for the 18 (12,dual) makes for about a $120 range in cost. Any opinions? I may be using this in less than 10' for panfish/walleye and other times in 80-100' for lake trout.

[This message has been edited by Matt D (edited 12-02-2002).]

The Fl-18 is a lot of power for 10' of water. I have used mine for a year now, and won't leave home without it. Watch your jig and move it up or down when something comes in the cone. I have the basic 8 degree, and that is all you need in 20' or more. The wider angle covers a proportionately larger area of the bottom, but you can only cover so much area jigging. If I use a jigging lure that flys around under the hole, I can loose that out of the cone, but it will always end up under the hole. If you have current where you fish, a wider angle might be benificial.

This one sounds pretty clear cut-
Get the best unit you can afford. For your very diverse fishing intentions, by far the best unit would be the FL-18 with a dual beam transducer.
The 18 is an upgrade from the 8- get the best you can afford.
The dual beam transducer will serve you in more applications than either single beam- go with what your budget allows.
Scoot

I fish shallow and deep water (60 ft.) with steep dropoffs so I went with the dual beam.