• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What scope to put on a Browning A-Bolt?

Hey all, I just picked up a brand new Browning A-Bolt Medallion about a week and a half ago and am really torn on what to do for a scope. I bought this gun to be a tack-driver, and am looking for a scope to pair with it that's just as reliable.

I am looking for a 3-9x40 scope.

I want to keep the scope under about $300. Here's what I've considered:

Leupold VX-1 or VX-II: Hard to shy away from Leupolds reputation for building awesome optics

Nikon Buckmaster: Looks to be a good reliable scope, for a nice price

Nikon Monarch (factory reconditioned for $250): I know its a great optic, but do I want to take the risk of a refurb? (it still carries the lifetime warranty though) I want something to stay on a very tight zero, so I am leary.

And finally......

Nitrex 3-9x42: This is the clincher!! It's japanese glass which has always been quality, The retail on these scopes are $319.00, the reviews I've read have been really really good, with a light penetration higher than even a VX-III. I can get this scope from the dealer I bought the A-bolt from for only $150 because I bought the gun there.

I guess I'm looking for people who have any experience with these scopes? ESPECIALLY THE NITREX!!! Anyone heard of anyone using them? I've narrowed it down to these pretty much, but if you guys have just an awesome scope experience, I'd be happy to hear about it. I do know there are great Zeiss, Swarvoski, VX-III's, etc, scopes out there, but I will not budget for one of these.

Thanks for the replies!

I have the Nikon 3x9-40 Prostaff (their cheaper version) on my A-Bolt and it's been a very good scope. I have the same scope on one of my muzzleloaders and a 22-250. They are all clear and crisp. I also have a Buckmaster on my 375JDJ and quite frankly, I can't tell the difference between the two.

I don't have any experience with Nitrex but I've read the same reviews. Not sure if it helps but I do own 4 Nikon's!

Leupold VX-II or the Nikon Monarch are the only two I would consider. I have both and love them. I do like the Leupold a touch better, but the glass and light gathering on the Nikon is better. Both are fabulous. I would not cheap out on the scope, it is as important as the gun.

I have a Leopold II and as you say, it's hard to argue with Leopold. I will second the Bushnell Elite however, very good scope for the $$. I really do'nt think you'll go wrong with any of the scopes you mention, but i've never heard of a Nitrex. Are they fairly new to the market, or am I out of the loop?(wouldn't be the first time!)

I have a stainless A-bolt in 300 WSM. I went with a silver Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40. $210 plus tax for the scope. i'm happy with it. i have a Burris on my varmint rifle and that was almost double the price and I had to send it back once because the crosshairs were slowly turning and separated. I was glad it was covered by warranty. never seen a scope do that before. but i always liked Nikon optics.

Thanks for all the replies guys!! There's been some great information. I definately won't skim on the base and rings, thats for sure. Still going to give it a week or two to make my decision on the scope. I think i've eliminated the Monarch factory reconditioned,VX-I, and certainly any Burris product. I've had friends with expensive Burris's and they've had problems with them staying on 0, and things coming loose.

So, I guess it's down to the Leupold VXII, Nikon Buckmaster, and still the Nitrex (just for the curiosity and 50% off factor). I like the feedback, keep it coming.

I too have Buckmaster on my A-bolt. However, if I buy the kid a rifle this year, he will get Buckmaster and I will be buying the Monarch. Others in my party have Monarch and the last 15 minutes of hunting is where I noticed the difference!

Remember, everything looks good in the store. Find one and look at it early morning or just before dark.

Jason