• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Saw our last gave ever at the Dome.

DonBo

We saw the Twins beat up on the lowly Cleveland Indians yesterday afternoon at the Dome. It was to be our last game there. Oddly, I'm gonna miss the place.

I've always hated the building, even when new, but there's lots of memories I'm gonna have of the place. I went to several games with my not yet wife even before we were "dating". Caught my one and only foul ball on one of those dates.

I was not even much of a fan when it first opened, but a co-worker was and because of that we were at several opening days. A tradition I carry on still. We also worked with several "Cheddar Heads" and always managed to see the Brewers when they came to town.

1987 really got me going as a fan. My still not quite wife and I watched lots of those games. After 1991 hoards of us came over as true fans. We've been to several of the playoff games here, always a spectacle in that building.

We've now celebrated our 10th Anniversary there this year. We've been season ticket holders (20 game pkg) for 6 or 7 years now. We met a couple of our now closest friends there as they became ST holders the same time we did and happened to be seated right next to us. We've seen no-hitters and grand slams and hitting for the cycle, but the best I'll remember was when four Twin pitchers when back to back to back to back in complete game shutouts. We were there when Carlos Sylva made the last out of those four and threw the ball into the upper deck-just four seats over from mine.

We've been to games in 13 different major league ballparks, some better than others, none even close to being as bad as ours (except maybe US West Cellular, sorry Windy) but I'm still gonna miss her. Some of the nicest I've seen are Cleveland, Denver and St. Louis (my favorite) and soon our new Target Field will be right up there with the best and I can't wait for it to be opening day 2010, but it was still a sad day when we walked out of the Dome for the last time.

Anyone else want to share some of their Dome memories?

Man I wish the twins would have built a place like Miller park

Miller Park is a beautiful facility, but even with the roof open, it feels like a building with the roof open, not the same as a well designed open air park. Yes, were gonna have some bad ugly days, weather wise, in there but when the weather is as nice as it's been this summer there will be no better place to spend an evening.

The Twins are going to miss the best "home field advantage" in all of baseball once they get out of the Dome. I, too, hate the place, but our weather here is simply not good enough to have a true open stadium. Even living in Kansas City, where it is alot warmer than here, I usually waited until late April- early May before going out to the stadium. I caught one home opener at the "K" and froze my behind off. All the hops of the Dome, all the opponents losing fly balls in the ceiling- it will all be gone soon. I, too, hate the Dome, But I, too, will miss it.

Miller Park is a beautiful facility, but even with the roof open, it feels like a building with the roof open, not the same as a well designed open air park. Yes, were gonna have some bad ugly days, weather wise, in there but when the weather is as nice as it's been this summer there will be no better place to spend an evening.

GOOD, I like the feeling of a building better! I watched plenty of games in Oakland, SF, Anaheim, LA + minor leauge baseball and I hated outdoor baseball.

Originally Posted By: DonBo

GOOD, I like the feeling of a building better! I watched plenty of games in Oakland, SF, Anaheim, LA + minor leauge baseball and I hated outdoor baseball.

Seriously? crazy

quote=SledNeck]

You gotta remember DonBo, Sled is a glass 3/4 empty guy when it comes to the Twins..... not to mention his lack of smile in his Big Bass Pics! smile

I have fond memories of things that took place in the Dome, but am excited none-the-less for Target Field. Everyone and their "You'll lose your home field advantage".... sounds like sour grapes to me!

So what youre saying is I should be happy that the twins got a bottom barrel bargain field when It could be an AWESOME field like safeco or Miller Park? I do like that Target field has the smallest foul territory of any park but wrigley and that the seating is very good...but im disappointed thinking about what we should have.

My dad, brother, and I saw the game where Sanatana struck out 17 batters.

My daughter Amanda got a practice ball last year at a game.

My only complaint is for us "out staters" that will be driving 3+ hours to a game at the new stadium to have it rained out. I think that will upset people to the point of them not wanting to go to the games. Time will tell I guess.

Brian

I hear what your saying BonBo. It has been a love hat relationship with the dome. Fans will have to realize that there will be rain outs, you will have to dress for the conditions (hot or cold) and walk up tickets might not always be available.

One of my best memories was fairly recent. Last year I sat front row where the players come out of the dugout to the on deck circle for the last game of the season against the hated white sox. It was a sold out game that forced the one game playoff or play in to the playoffs. Even the players couldn't believe how loud it was in there.

Three weeks ago I was twelve rows up in the new Yankee stadium and last week at Fenway. Next week I'll be in Chicago cheering on our Twins. I really hope they do well this weekend and it will make the white sox series more important for both sides.

As a side note-at Yankee Stadium I was sitting next to a guy who was eating sushi and washing it down with a seltzer water. Come on, thats not baseball fare.

I've been to Miller Park and Safeco and yes they are both very nice stadiums. However IMHO they don't hold a candle to the new parks in Detroit, Cleveland, Denver and St. Louis or even the much older Kaufman field in K.C. They are just (like I've already said) buildings with the roof open. They have no open air feel about them. There is no view of the surrounding landscape, no sunsets, no moon rises, etc.

We are not getting a "bottom barrel bargain field" like you say. We are getting a state of the art park that will be second to none. Yes, there will be a handfull of games that will be no fun because of the weather. Same as in New York, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago and any other city with a major league team. We just need to suck it up and put on some extra clothes. Do you stay home from fishing if the weather isn't perfect. Only hunt on bluebird days? I don't. I have outdoor clothing and if that's what it takes to enjoy Twins Baseball, so be it.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
So target field will be second to none?

YES!!!!!! Hope you get that sour expression off your face long enough to enjoy it. grin

not sour just serious....

half of the time I am pretty sour after catching our limit of walleyes everyweekend and I think about having to clean them when I get home

12 of us are going Sunday should be a good time. I too will miss the place mainly for the home field advanatge and succes we have had over the years.

Baseball should be played exclusivly outside and I couldn't be happier we didn't waste millions on the roof that would have ruined it for me. I do feel for the outstate fan that may have deal with some weather issues and what not but Baseball is best

played out-dooors on grass!

Can't remember the year but I remember the event clearly we were sitting in left field lower deck $3.00 seats when all of a sudden the right field corner of the dome split wide open and let the rain come in. People running for there life's. I was amazed how quickly the fixed it and game on.

We were along the 3rd base line that night...It was April 26th, 1984. My son and his friend went wandering that nite and were over in the left field corner. The sound from the revolving doors crashing was amazing....And Ron Davis came in in relief and lost the game.

....And Ron Davis came in in relief and lost the game.

Again. frown Man, there were some bad teams in those days. I remember about that same time I actually went to a game with a bag on my head.