• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The WEAGLE

hunter991

This may be a strange post but i got my first Weagle. I purposely avoided this bait for the last 2 years because everyone was using it. Well, i got one new for under $10 the other day so i couldn't pass it up.

That being said, how do you effectively work this bait. I haven't seen one worked or fished with anyone using one. Just curious.

The key is in the cadence of the retrieve. Best results are achieved with slack line on the side to side snap. Basically you just want to work it like you would any other WTD topwater, just make sure there is slack line and you are going a little slower.

When worked properly the bait makes a "swoosh" sound also known as the death march.

pretty effective bait for some, but for me - I have yet to land anything on mine.

RU

When i throw a weagle or homewrecker (another bait modeled after the weagle), I try to really snap the line and really make it zing from side to side. I like it to travel more side to side than forward, thus giving it the swooshing death march and very eratic action. When I throw a Jackpot or a Doc, then I get a very good side to side cadence going and move the bait more forward as the baits works side to side. I fished with a guy who knows Baldy pretty darn good and this is how he works his weagles and has caught some very nice fish on them.

Just my .02!

When you snap the the line as mentioned, I also immediately follow with moving my rod tip back to pointing towards the bait. This will give you the slack line mentioned and allow the bait to glide farther from side to side. While moving the tip towards the bait you will reel in some of the slack line so the bait gradually works towards you. How much you reel will vary, but you will know how much based on how the bait is running. Before you snap again you don't want much slack otherwise it won't get the snap you want on the next iteration.

Also, I find using a single stand wire leader (10-12+") works best for WTD/glide lures. You can use florocarbon leaders, but it is not as easy IMO, and it can get tangled up in the hooks easier. I prefer to use a stiffer rod so I get the snap I am looking for - I use my Compre 8' XH, but any H-XH rod would probably be fine.

Try to learn the bait in calm water, it will be much easier to tell if you are working it properly & develop an effective cadence for the retrieve.

Good luck & congrat's on the great deal!

what has worked for me this year is to fish them hard. With hard and long pulls moving the bait fast towards you than uaual. Its endless how you can work the weagle, somedays they want it to just swoosh and some days they want the swish.

When worked properly the bait makes a "swoosh" sound also known as the death march.

IMO, the death march is MUCH more than a swoosh. There isn't a good way to describe online the noise the march gives. It's hard/tiring to march it all day, it's a tough sound/movement to replicate on every snap of the rod. (at least what I consider a march)

I have a few weagles and I do love them at times. My PB came on one two weeks ago matter of fact.

The only thing i'd say is there can be a huge variation in how each individual weagle works. I can grab two 8 inch models and the each have a cadence/speed they work best at. They aren't all the same weight and don't all have the same balance IME. I've got a cash one that I can work slow/fast and anything in between and a perch one that really only can be worked slow.

Give it some time to figure out how yours works best and throw it at low light or a throwback...it's been absolutely DEADLY as a throwback for me on hot follows.

I really find that a single strand wire leader with no snaps works best on a short (6'6") or less rod. But that depends on the sound you want from the bait too.

HTH