• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prime Rib Soup Recipe?

Leaky

I had a 5 lb roast that was served to four of us. There may be 1/2 decent slice left and then all the stuff around the bones. My thought is to boil it up like a ham bone, pull off the meat and use the broth for a base.

I figured I could get one decent sandwich out of it or 8 cups of soup. I've got a great ham and potato soup recipe that I thought I could use as a base but use the beef instead ham.

Any other ideas?

Cube the meat add it last to:

Add 8 cups of beef stock to a stock pot along with the bones. add 1-diced onion, 4-sliced carrots, 2-cups Barley or 2-diced potatos, 1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 2-tbsps. tomato paste, 2-chopped celery stalks.

Simmer for 2-3 hrs. check for taste and eat.

Well, I took Chef's suggestion to make a beef barley soup and embellished it a little bit. I make a lot of soups in the Fall & Winter and this turned out to be one of the best batches ever. I'm usually my own worst critic (ask my wife), but I would have paid to eat this in a restaurant. Did this on Saturday morning, watching the Gopher game and looking out over the lake while doing all the cutting.

Took the onions, celery, carrots & a package of sliced mushrooms, seasoned with a little salt & pepper, then sauteed for 5 minutes in olive oil. Added the garlic and sauteed for another minute. Added 1 cup of red wine, simmered until it reduced in half, then stirred in the two tablespoons of tomato paste.

From there I added the beef broth, 1 can of chopped tomatoes, 1 cup of barley, the cubed prime rib (about 2 cups), the bones, a couple shakes of oregano and basil (didn't have fresh parsley) and simmered for 2 hours while I went and power washed the neighbor's deck. Pulled out the bones and added a small can of corn at the end.

I reduced the barley to one cup because of the other things I added in. The consistency was perfect with just enough broth at the bottom of the bowl to mop up with some fresh Italian bread from the grocery store in Garrison.

I can see where this would be great with just about whatever cut of beef is on sale (Sirloin, Chuck, ect.), or any kind of left over beef roast.

Thanks for the inspiration Chef.

Hey, great, Leaky. It wouldn't have turned out perfect without your own "signature" additions. I think that's one of the great things about cooking--you can make your own rendition of some things and they really become yours to eat and share.

Bon Appetite!