• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass and Docks

zepman

Lot's of times while approaching docks I can see two, three and even four + bass underneath or beside the docks/boatlifts (suspended) and I have a heck of a time catching these fish. I catch alot of bass underneath or beside these structures all the time but it's usually on a cast that's skipped or placed in an area where I don't see anything at all. I've tried everything from weightless lures, heavy, fast sinking lures,drop-shot etc...and can't seem to get these fish to go. I'm as carefull as possible with the trolling motor and ease the lures into the water as quietly as I possibly can. Any tips on getting these fish to go...presentations that have worked for you in the past...recommendations? Thanks guys.

zepman,

How close are you getting to the docks?

Sometimes an approach further out or not casting any kind of a shadow helps. I agree with the reaction strike concept. Often I've seen the fish and have made a cast far beyond them and burned a bait by to illicit a bite.

i will throw in my two bits on wind and docks

i have had some good luck on clear water lakes fishing docks with wind blowing into them. It is a pain for boat control and makes you want to buy a power pole but usually they tag it prett good and you don't have to worry as much about shadows and spookiness it seems. so hit those same docks on a not so nice day and you might be able to up your luck

Good points here and I 2nd being stealthy and making long accurate casts with a senko or something that skips well. Tubes and flukes skip well too and even a small jig that has a flat sided trailer like a zoom chunk trailer. Senko would be my first choice.

Anyone skip topwater frogs under docks or hanging tree limbs? It's not too bad on a baitcaster actually. (Revo STX helps a ton though)

Clearer the water the further away you need to be. Also might want to try coming from the side or back of the dock. Bass are usually facing out towards the end of the dock and you can sneak up on them better from other angles.

Have skipped frogs, no great luck with it though.

Thanks guys...all great tips. I'm going to try sneaking up from the backside of some of the docks I know these fish live at. I have had great success burning a 1/4 oz. white chatterbait under and around docks all year long.

If nothing else works on these fish I'm just going to anchor in front of the dock(s) and float a crawler and bobber in front of their snout. J/K laugh

I agree with trying to skip weightless plastics underneath, letting them sink and slowly twitching them back out. Otherwise, if you can, I've had luck casting a jig and trailer as close as I can and crawling it as close to the dock as possible. Sometimes they'll come out of their comfort zone and pick it up.