• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gulp waxies - waste of time

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

I keep a jar of Red Gulp Waxies or maggots in my ice case all the time. They have proven very effective to me in late fall as well. I often use them to hold minnows/shiners on barbless jigs, and the color Red and the Gulp scent appears to pay off.

I use Gulp Maggots (Asticots) almost all the time for open water panfish --- I either tip with Gulp or fish with plastic only. I don't ever bring along live bait .... and neither do my kids, 4 and 6. It's just as effective and so much more convenient to use Gulp in my opinion. Cheaper too as those little jars of Gulp last a LONG time.

I bring Gulp Maggots with me all ice season but don't use them all that much in the winter. I try plastic first and if that's not working I usually go to the real thing next. Gulp Maggots work great on jigging spoons when the perch are really going though ....

Gulp waxies are pretty good in open water, but I have had pretty poor luck in the winter. Natural color is the best, pink does ok, have yet to catch a fish on the chartreuse.
funny, my preference is the exact opposit.... crazy The chartruse is my go to followed by pink and have only caught one fish off the natural color.....

I primarily use them ice fishing. They work well on panfish! When the fish are going its much easier to put a gulp waxie, spike, or whatever on and get the same results without rebaiting which takes time. The more time out of the water, the more fish you miss in a school.

A nice way to rig them is to break the waxxie in half and put one half on one of the three hooks and a second on another hook of a treble hook. Face them the same way so they look like a split tale (like the plastics on a beetlespin.)

Its never a bad idea to have them along in case you run out of bait, forget it, or fish after the bait shop is closed!

Its never a bad idea to have them along in case you run out of bait, forget it, or fish after the bait shop is closed!
thats my # 1 reason I have them in my bag. most times I dont plan to fish for sunnies or crappies. Only when the bass or pike arent biting. it sure is nice to putt over to your honey hole, pull out the UL and tip your jig with something and recover from a skunked day.

If the fish are hitting good anything will work i ran out of bait once i used small pieces of styrafoam cup on a bare hook the real test comes when the bite is tough . Real wax worms are easy to keep and last a long time so why use something fake..

As far as I'm concerned Gulp is just one more product on the forever moving artificial bait conveyor. Last week I was in Canada on a fishing trip. There were some old fishing mags in the cabin we were in. One from the late 70's or early 80's when Mister Twister was the new greatest thing. Then there were some mags from the early 90's when the soft plastics like the Berkley Power Baits came along. I've bought them all in hopes of finding something that would do at least 80% of what live bait will. Thus far, I'd say the bite on the imitators would be at the 20 to 30 % of live; and, that's on a solid and fast bite.

I love the Gulp Alive Waxies, I haven't bought any live bait for panfish in 3 years. The kids and I catch more fish with the Gulp than with live bait - sometimes due to the fact that it lasts a lot longer than pieces of worm. I do find that in the early season the fish are a little slow to take it.