• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$$$ SAVER!

Surface Tension

Question

I just purchased an refill attachment for 1# propane tanks and it works awsome. I fill them off my 20# and they get fuller than when purchased new. They have them available at the bigger sporting goods stores.

13 answers to this question

I realize the adapter has a male end (I have one)and will fit into any style valve. The question I didn't know is if the "new valve" stops the flow of gas when you tip the 20-pound tank upside down to refill the one-pounders.

The directions on the back of the adapter is to fill them for 1 minute. I go a little less to be safe. I have filled off the new and old style tanks with no problem. I have already got my money back out of it. I paid about 15 bucks for mine.

Hi Dave, got a question for any one who can answer it.I have an 11 lbs tank with the old style valve, the gas company said it will cost as much to replace it as a new tank.
My question is this, is there any place on the North side of the cities that exchanges the smaller 11 lbs tanks??
I have looked at all the S.A's and local places here in Coon Rapids for an exchange station ans found none.
I have about 5 or 6 of those little 1 pounders empty on the shelf, been to afraid of an explosion to buy the filler adapter and refill them.
Any one willing to trade a few full tanks for all the empties I have??
Thanks' Benny

Has anyone refilled from the new 20 pounders untill the 20 gets empty?
I was wondering if this would work from those new tank/valves, and it sounds like it does, at least while the 20 is still fairly full. The way the valve works, it looks to me like after the tank gets about 1/2 to 3/4 empty, the valve may stop propane from exiting the tank when inverted because the float will shut it off.
I have been refilling these 1 pounders for about 5 years. Works great. You will want to have your big tank (20 lb) warm. After you chill the small ones in the freezer, follow the directions and refill. If they do not fill up to a pound, you can rechill the small one and it will take on more propane from the 20 lb. You can refill them too much and make a super cell, just don't let it get too warm or it will start releasing propane.
When they refill your 20 lb tanks, they leave 20% head space for expansion. Same thing with the little 1 lb.
Typically, when I start filling, the first 2 - 3 bottles take the whole 1 lb in the minute time it takes, but as you keep filling the next bottles, the 20 lb tank chills down from the pressure being released to the small bottles. Then, the pressure is less in the big 20 pounder and can not fill the small ones as full.
It is all based on pressure differential and equalization between the 2 tanks.
David

FYI - Do you realise it is illegal to transport refilled disposable tanks in a vehicle?

Due to the high instance of explosions from expansion of over filled cylinders they are banned from transport.

I just purchased an refill attachment for 1# propane tanks and it works awsome. I fill them off my 20# and they get fuller than when purchased new. They have them available at the bigger sporting goods stores.

I've been thinking about getting one of these but don't know anyone that uses them........how expensive was the adapter ?
And...how much hassle is involved in refilling them ?
Oh yeah....I gotta ask ...any danger involved in using them ??

[This message has been edited by Twitter (edited 12-02-2002).]

If you look there is a valve that looks like a valve on a tire stem, theres a drop tube attached to the valve. Where that tube ends is the fuel level in the tank when full. If you overfill, once that tank starts to warm up, gas in a liquid form will start to blow out of that valve. If your sitting in your shack it will get ugly real fast. Instead of trying to get a full lb into these tanks, be on the safe side and settle for 1/2 full.
Yes it is illegal to transport refilled 1 lb. tanks.