• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spooky Encounter...

howellcanufish

Last night was a great night for fishing and I caught my new PB flathead of 40x25. About a half hour after I released the fish(approximately 11:30pm) I heard a huge splash...not a little tail popper but more like a 5 gallon pale of concrete hitting the water and followed by the scariest heavy breathing I've ever heard. It was quite foggy so I couldn't see what was going on, only listening as the sound moved from one side of the river to the other. For a minute I thought my fishing bud was screwing with me until he too showed some concern for the sounds. After several more minutes of the breathing/panting it was over. I could not believe how frightened I was after listening to the sounds of that! After the two of us settled down we chatted a bit more about it and come to the conclusion that it must have been a deer getting chased down into the river. Deer swam across river, caught his breath on the other side and walked away. Or at least that is the story that allowed us to stay on the water for another hour and a half.

Anyone else ever heard of such a thing or had a similar experience?

Hiya -

Might have been a manbearpig. Could be a wookalar too. Or a heffalump. Lotsa them around.

Maybe 15 years ago I was night fishing alone on a lake with no cabins on it - so no lights on shore, no moon, no nothing. So it was darker than a well digger's... Well, it was really dark.

There's one spot on the lake where in order to fish an inside turn you have to put your boat almost on shore - maybe 10 yards off shore is all - with your back to shore.

So I'm fishing away, had just turned my boat so my back was to shore and was getting ready to fire a cast across this inside turn.... Two raccoons chose that very instant to get into a fight *right* behind me. It went from dead silent, pitch black and a little creepy to total pandemonium. Snarling, thrashing, splashing, crashing brush... As far as I knew something was A.) big, B.) snarling, D.) mad, and E.) coming into my boat in the next 5 seconds. Absolutely scared the beejezus out of me. Not "spooked me a little" or "wow, that made me jump." Scared me like I hadn't been scared since I was six years old. Had to sit down and get my act together for a while before I could fish again. Still shiver when I think about it...

That lake's given me the creeps ever since.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm