Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
BLACKJACK

Canning Spagetti sauce recipe?

That would be great Dark Cloud!!! Went thru that other link and the recipes and most of them also call for you to add tomato sauce and tomato paste, I would like to use whole tomatoes as much as possible.

We used whole tomatoes.

I know our recipe called for 20 pounds of tomatoes. We peeled them, cored them and then diced them and tossed them in a pot with some onion, basil, a few other things and then cooked it down until it reached the right consistency for us. We also used a potato masher to help break up some of the tomatoes a little once in the pot.

I'd have to go dig up the recipe to get all of the particulars. It also included some lemon juice added to each jar before sealing to make sure there is enough acid in it to prevent bacteria from growing.

I'll see if I can find where my wife hid that recipe.

Here it is, it's rough and basic, and nothing is exact. Iv'e never heard a complaint on his sauce...

The original calls for 1/2 bushel of tomatoes. He usually bumps it up to 3/4 only because it usually yealds his biggest pot, full...

But back to the 1/2 bushel

2 whole heads of garlic peeled

3-4 big green peppers

3 pounds of onions

2-3 hot peppers - usually hungarian wax peppers or long hots

1 pint olive oil

8 six oz cans of tomato paste

1 1/2 - 2 cups of sugar

1 tablespoon basil

1 tablespoon oregano

1/2 cup salt

He processes the tomatoes in a hand grinder thing called a Squeeze-O. All it does is push out all the pulp and juice while removing the seeds and skin. Without that i'd just peel, core and cut/smush the tomatoes.

Now he cooks the juice-pulp for about 3-4 hours on a low simmer to reduce and remove water. While this is simmering uncovered clean your onions, peppers, and garlic. Now run these three together in a food processor till you get it to the consistancy you like. Then saute the three in a little olive oil till it just starts to soften. Now add all the ingredients to the pot and simmer till you get the thickness you want - an hour or two probably...

He hot water bath cans them now for 20 minutes for quarts and 15 for pints...

It's a whole day ordeal but it is nice and easy to have homemade sauce all year without makeing it each time...

With that recipe I'd be a little concerned about not having enough acid. I am fairly new to the canning thing but tomatoes have enough acid to be canned as is but when you start adding onions, peppers, and other ingredients every recipe I've seen calls for some additional acid somehow, either a vinegar or lemon juice.

Thanks Dark Cloud. Looks like a person just has to grab one of these recipes and try it. To be honest, with all the slicing and dicing and cooking, it looks like a lot of work, not going to happen this year, need to do some deer hunting prep. Would like to try it someday though. May just call my mom and get her method of freezing so I've got some tomatoes for stews. Plus more tomato juice, I've done 10 quarts, another 10 quarts wouldn't hurt!!

As for the concerns about enough acid, if I started adding onions, pepper, meat, etc. I would put them under pressure for 90 minutes. If you're going to do all the work I'd want to make sure the end product keeps and I don't get sick. My tomato juice I just get it boiling, scald the jars, and can it up, they all seal and I've never had a problem, as stated theres enough acid in the tomatoes.

Pressure canning is another story I guess. From what I understand you don't need to worry about the acid content when using a pressure canner.

I do agree though that its better to not get roped in to helping if you can avoid it. It can be a long process. We did salsa and tomato sauce on saturday which made for a long day.